• collective.amberjack discussion

  • activity report

    from massimo on Jul 20, 2009 05:40 AM
    hi all,

    last weekend, I fixed some bugs and I commit a new, let's say, release.
    The feature are the same as before, but I fixed some problems, I refactored a bit the code to have a best organized structure which will be the base for tours as python eggs.
    I also added a new example as an export from my zodb.
    It's more complex than the previous one.

    Then I started to create a tour as a package.
    It's not finished and I didn't have time to create a branch. I'll do asap.
    now we have:
    - a tour manager which permits the registration of a tour, returns the list of all the available tour (both metatours and packagedtours), returns the html view of the tour. I already successfully tested it with metatours.
    - every packaged tour will be composed by
      - a registration of an instance of a new Tour class
      - a browser:page made of a pagetemplate and eventually a class (you can reuse collective.amberjack.core.tour.TourView or extend it)

    I have a couple of doubt about the right structure of a packaged tour.
    first.
    the pagetemplate *has* to be well structured. According to amberjack, there are slots that have to be filled with: title, body, steps, url (xpath/xcontent).
    I see two different approaches:
     - The tour is a class with all of the needed properties. Something like the ajtour/ajstep contents in metatour. When you register the tour, you also set the attributes of it. There is a standard view used to render it (ok, you can always define a new named view and so on...). User target: pythoneer.
     - The tour is designed in the pagetemplate. User target: an HTML enabled guy.

    second.
    In both cases you need to deal with the steps which must be expressed in a strongly structured way. I think it should be a simple python structure. E.g.:
    'description','idStep', 'selector', 'text'
    {
    '1':
    [('hey guy fill the url field with....', 'form_url','','http://www.youtube.com/watch?v�GmTzabFM8'),
    ('hey guy fill the title field with...', 'form_title','','The Great Mazinger'),],
    '2':
    [...]
    }
    (1, 2 means first step, second step etc)
    it can be easily translated into:
     - html
     - js
    better, we already have the code for that from metatour.

    For sure you need to see the not yet commited code before replying, but.. what do you think?
    I'll create a branch today in the evening.

    see you

    massimo

    Thread Outline:
  • RE: activity report

    from samknox on Jul 21, 2009 12:30 PM
    Fantastic, Massimo. Thanks for moving this forward.

    I'll have to sit down with the new code to tell you what I think about packaged tour, but right now I think that the second approach might be best. In any case, I don't really see a non-technical end user creating tours on their own. The users would be consultants/implementers. That said, I'd like to have the technical bar as low as possible!

    Ciao,
    Sam

    --
    Archive: http://www.coactivate.org/projects/collectiveamberjack/lists/collectiveamberjack-discussion/archive/2009/07/1248082838012

    • Re: activity report

      from amleczko on Jul 21, 2009 06:29 PM
      Hi All,
      I like also a python approach. I would also use meta zcml directive for tour
      registration instead of generic setup. If I undertand the code - we need
      only a name and configuration which (according to example 2) is a simple
      method / dictionary

      Ciao
      --
      Andrew Mleczko

      2009/7/21 Sam Knox <sam@...>

      > Fantastic, Massimo. Thanks for moving this forward.
      >
      > I'll have to sit down with the new code to tell you what I think about
      > packaged tour, but right now I think that the second approach might be best.
      > In any case, I don't really see a non-technical end user creating tours on
      > their own. The users would be consultants/implementers. That said, I'd like
      > to have the technical bar as low as possible!
      >
      > Ciao,
      > Sam

      • Re: activity report

        from massimo on Jul 22, 2009 01:18 AM
        hi all,
        I'm going to refactor things a little.
        I would proceed step by step.
        I'll release an implementation based on dictionaries, and a registration via
        ZCML directive.
        then, let's see.

        I'm still on a not complete working code, that's why I still don't commit.
        during the week I have so little spare time to spend on it.. but next week:
        vacations! :)

        massimo
        ---

        On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Andrzej Mleczko <andrew@...>wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I like also a python approach. I would also use meta zcml directive for
        > tour registration instead of generic setup. If I undertand the code - we
        > need only a name and configuration which (according to example 2) is a
        > simple method / dictionary
        >
        > Ciao
        > --
        > Andrew Mleczko
        >
        > 2009/7/21 Sam Knox <sam@...>
        >
        >> Fantastic, Massimo. Thanks for moving this forward.
        >>
        >> I'll have to sit down with the new code to tell you what I think about
        >> packaged tour, but right now I think that the second approach might be best.
        >> In any case, I don't really see a non-technical end user creating tours on
        >> their own. The users would be consultants/implementers. That said, I'd like
        >> to have the technical bar as low as possible!
        >>
        >> Ciao,
        >> Sam
        >>

        > --
        > Archive: http://www.coactivate.org/[…]/1248215384595<http://www.coactivate.org/projects/collectiveamberjack/lists/collectiveamberjack-discussion/archive/2009/07/1248215384595>

        • Re: activity report

          from nateaune on Aug 01, 2009 10:23 PM
          Hi Massimo,

          When I try to create a new Plone site and view it, the following error
          occurs when I have the amberjack eggs in my Zope instance:

          Traceback (innermost last):

              * Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 202, in publish_module_standard
              * Module plone.app.linkintegrity.monkey, line 21, in
          zpublisher_exception_hook_wrapper
              * Module Zope2.App.startup, line 221, in zpublisher_exception_hook
              * Module ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply
              * Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 42, in call_object
              * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 313, in __call__
              * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 350, in _bindAndExec
              * Module Products.CMFCore.FSPageTemplate, line 216, in _exec
              * Module Products.CacheSetup.patch_cmf, line 29, in FSPT_pt_render
              * Module Products.CacheSetup.patch_utils, line 9, in call_pattern
              * Module Products.CMFCore.FSPageTemplate, line 155, in pt_render
              * Module Products.CacheSetup.patch_cmf, line 77, in PT_pt_render
              * Module Products.CacheSetup.patch_utils, line 9, in call_pattern
              * Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplate, line 98, in pt_render
              * Module zope.pagetemplate.pagetemplate, line 117, in pt_render
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 271, in __call__
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 891, in do_useMacro
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 536, in do_optTag_tal
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 521, in do_optTag
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 957, in do_defineSlot
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 536, in do_optTag_tal
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 521, in do_optTag
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 861, in do_defineMacro
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 957, in do_defineSlot
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 536, in do_optTag_tal
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 521, in do_optTag
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 534, in do_optTag_tal
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 516, in no_tag
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 346, in interpret
              * Module zope.tal.talinterpreter, line 745, in do_insertStructure_tal
              * Module Products.PageTemplates.Expressions, line 223, in
          evaluateStructure
              * Module zope.tales.tales, line 696, in evaluate
          file:/Users/nateaune/.buildout/eggs/Plone-3.2.3-py2.4.egg/Products/CMFPlone/skins/plone_templates/main_template.pt
                Line 143, Column 22
                Expression: <StringExpr u'plone.belowcontent'>
                Names:

                {'container': <PloneSite at /plone9>,
                 'context': <ATDocument at /plone9/front-page>,
                 'default': <object object at 0x6d528>,
                 'here': <ATDocument at /plone9/front-page>,
                 'loop': {},
                 'nothing': None,
                 'options': {'args': ()},
                 'repeat': <Products.PageTemplates.Expressions.SafeMapping object
          at 0x8a60328>,
                 'request': <HTTPRequest,
          URL=http://localhost:8081/plone9/front-page/document_view>,
                 'root': <Application at >,
                 'template': <FSPageTemplate at /plone9/document_view used for
          /plone9/front-page>,
                 'traverse_subpath': [],
                 'user': <PropertiedUser 'admin'>}

              * Module Products.Five.browser.providerexpression, line 37, in __call__
              * Module plone.app.viewletmanager.manager, line 154, in render
              * Module plone.app.viewletmanager.manager, line 83, in render
              * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 313, in __call__
              * Module Shared.DC.Scripts.Bindings, line 350, in _bindAndExec
              * Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplateFile, line 109, in _exec
              * Module Products.PageTemplates.PageTemplateFile, line 151, in
          _cook_check
                __traceback_info__:
          /Users/nateaune/Documents/instances/amberjack/buildout/src/collective.amberjack.plonetour/collective/amberjack/plonetour/browser/viewlets/demo.pt

          IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
          '/Users/nateaune/Documents/instances/amberjack/buildout/src/collective.amberjack.plonetour/collective/amberjack/plonetour/browser/viewlets/demo.pt'
          (Also, the following error occurred while attempting to render the
          standard error message, please see the event log for full details:
          [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
          '/Users/nateaune/Documents/instances/amberjack/buildout/src/collective.amberjack.plonetour/collective/amberjack/plonetour/browser/viewlets/demo.pt')

          any ideas?

          nate

          Massimo Azzolini wrote:
          > hi all,
          >
          > I'm going to refactor things a little.
          > I would proceed step by step.
          > I'll release an implementation based on dictionaries, and a
          > registration via ZCML directive.
          > then, let's see.
          >
          > I'm still on a not complete working code, that's why I still don't commit.
          > during the week I have so little spare time to spend on it.. but next
          > week: vacations! :)
          >
          > massimo
          > ---
          >

          > On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Andrzej Mleczko <andrew@...
          > <mailto:andrew@...>> wrote:
          >
          >     Hi All,
          >     I like also a python approach. I would also use meta zcml
          >     directive for tour registration instead of generic setup. If I
          >     undertand the code - we need only a name and configuration which
          >     (according to example 2) is a simple method / dictionary
          >
          >     Ciao
          >     --
          >     Andrew Mleczko
          >
          >     2009/7/21 Sam Knox <sam@... <mailto:sam@...>>
          >
          >         Fantastic, Massimo. Thanks for moving this forward.
          >
          >         I'll have to sit down with the new code to tell you what I
          >         think about packaged tour, but right now I think that the
          >         second approach might be best. In any case, I don't really see
          >         a non-technical end user creating tours on their own. The
          >         users would be consultants/implementers. That said, I'd like
          >         to have the technical bar as low as possible!
          >
          >         Ciao,
          >         Sam
          >

          >     --
          >     Archive: http://www.coactivate.org/[…]/1248215384595
          >     <http://www.coactivate.org/projects/collectiveamberjack/lists/collectiveamberjack-discussion/archive/2009/07/1248215384595>

          >     Please contact
          >     collectiveamberjack-discussion-manager@...
          >     <mailto:collectiveamberjack-discussion-manager@...>
          >     for questions.
          >

          > --
          > Archive: http://www.coactivate.org/[…]/1248239936662
          > <http://www.coactivate.org/projects/collectiveamberjack/lists/collectiveamberjack-discussion/archive/2009/07/1248239936662>
          > for questions.

          • Re: activity report

            from massimo on Aug 04, 2009 05:21 PM
            Strange.. it works for me, I just re-tested it on my instance.plonetour
            shouldn't have any viewlet.I'll check it as soon as I'll have a good
            internet connection (I'm on vacation right now..)
            I'll try to re-run the buildout from scratch

            ciao

            massimo
            ---

            On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Nate Aune <natea@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >> andrew@...>> wrote:
            >>
            >>    Hi All,
            >>    I like also a python approach. I would also use meta zcml
            >>    directive for tour registration instead of generic setup. If I
            >>    undertand the code - we need only a name and configuration which
            >>    (according to example 2) is a simple method / dictionary
            >>
            >>    Ciao
            >>    --    Andrew Mleczko
            >>
            >>    2009/7/21 Sam Knox <sam@... <mailto:sam@...>>
            >>
            >>        Fantastic, Massimo. Thanks for moving this forward.
            >>
            >>        I'll have to sit down with the new code to tell you what I
            >>        think about packaged tour, but right now I think that the
            >>        second approach might be best. In any case, I don't really see
            >>        a non-technical end user creating tours on their own. The
            >>        users would be consultants/implementers. That said, I'd like
            >>        to have the technical bar as low as possible!

          • Re: activity report

            from massimo on Aug 04, 2009 06:11 PM
            nate,
            I just checked out the buildout from collective. it runs smoothly.
            please tell me which are the differences between your buildout and mine.
            to be sure.. I didn't released any egg on pypi: just src on collective.. you
            are referring to them, right?

            I'll be out for some days, I'm not sure to have a good connection.

            massimo
            ---