• collective.amberjack discussion

  • scripts are finished

    from samknox on Aug 14, 2009 12:01 PM
    Hi all -

    All 12 scripts are now in the shared Google doc. I would say that I
    think the "add and publish a folder" should be the first tutorial so
    that all subsequent content generated by tutorials will be added to that
    folder.

    Let me know if you need anything else from me.

    Sam Knox  |  Support Manager

    ONE/Northwest

    Email mailto:sam@... <mailto:sam@...>

    Phone  206.286.1235 ext 21
    Office  1402 Third Ave |  Suite 1000  |  Seattle, WA 98101

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: scripts are finished

    from vincentfretin on Aug 14, 2009 12:48 PM
    On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Sam Knox <sam@...> wrote:

    >  Hi all –
    >

    > All 12 scripts are now in the shared Google doc. I would say that I think
    > the “add and publish a folder” should be the first tutorial so that all
    > subsequent content generated by tutorials will be added to that folder.

    Wahou, good job.
    We need to implement them now.

    Ok for “add and publish a folder” to be the first. I changed it.
    Then for "Publish a News Item" and "Publish an Event", you are in myfolder I
    suppose, we need to specify a step to enter the myfolder then.

    When you start a tour, you are always on the portal root, so you have first
    to specify a macro step with only one step to enter in the good directory.
    Then you are in macrostep 2.
    Each type you click on a link, you have to define another macrostep.
    See tour 2, I had to split "Add and Publish a Page" into 2 parts.

    Vincent

    • Re: scripts are finished

      from nateaune on Aug 14, 2009 01:03 PM
      > All 12 scripts are now in the shared Google doc. I would say that I think
      > the “add and publish a folder” should be the first tutorial so that all
      > subsequent content generated by tutorials will be added to that folder.
      >

      > Wahou, good job.
      > We need to implement them now.
      >
      > Ok for “add and publish a folder” to be the first. I changed it.
      > Then for "Publish a News Item" and "Publish an Event", you are in myfolder
      > I suppose, we need to specify a step to enter the myfolder then.

      wouldn't it make more sense to have the user add a news item to the existing
      "News" folder and an event to the existing "Events" folder, rather than
      creating a new folder to put these items into?

      Otherwise, it starts getting confusing about where you are supposed to put
      new content that you create.

      Nate

      --
      Nate Aune - natea@...
      http://www.jazkarta.com

      • RE: scripts are finished

        from samknox on Aug 14, 2009 02:00 PM
        Nate - That's a good point. My intuition was to keep everything in a
        single folder so that test/demo content wouldn't be added to any "real"
        section of the site. I really think that some kind of documentation
        needs to go out with this product so that people understand that the
        tutorials are best used during the initial phases of site development,
        not on production websites.

        The angle here is that if you point people to the News or Events folder,
        you're assuming that those folders exist already. While this is likely
        the case for many, there's always the possibility that a user has
        deleted or renamed those folders before starting the tutorial. So again,
        the timing of when the tutorials are taken is really important.

        Sam

[...]

        Archive: http://www.coactivate.org/[...]/1250269435898
        <http://www.coactivate.org/projects/collectiveamberjack/lists/collective
        amberjack-discussion/archive/2009/08/1250269435898>
        questions.

        • Re: scripts are finished

          from nateaune on Aug 14, 2009 02:04 PM
          yeah, i guess it depends on how the tutorials are being used. if we can
          assume that they are being used on a stock Plone site which still has all of
          the default folders retained, then we could have the tour put the items in
          /news and /events, but if we want the tours to be more general purpose, and
          work on any site, then i agree, we should make a special folder from scratch
          in which to put this content.

          either way, some documentation would be helpful to explain why this approach
          was taken.

          nate

          On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Sam Knox <sam@...> wrote:

          >  Nate – That’s a good point. My intuition was to keep everything in a
          > single folder so that test/demo content wouldn’t be added to any “real”
          > section of the site. I really think that some kind of documentation needs to
          > go out with this product so that people understand that the tutorials are
          > best used during the initial phases of site development, not on production
          > websites.
          >

          > The angle here is that if you point people to the News or Events folder,
          > you’re assuming that those folders exist already. While this is likely the
          > case for many, there’s always the possibility that a user has deleted or
          > renamed those folders before starting the tutorial. So again, the timing of
          > when the tutorials are taken is really important.
          >

          > Sam

          Nate Aune - natea@...
          http://www.jazkarta.com

    • RE: scripts are finished

      from samknox on Aug 17, 2009 12:26 PM
      Got it. Would you like me to adjust the scripts in the Google doc or are
      you going to make the changes as you build each module?

      Sam

[...]

      Archive: http://www.coactivate.org/[...]/1250268512997
      <http://www.coactivate.org/projects/collectiveamberjack/lists/collective
      amberjack-discussion/archive/2009/08/1250268512997>
      questions.

      • Re: scripts are finished

        from massimo on Aug 17, 2009 01:22 PM
        On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Sam Knox <sam@...> wrote:

        >  Got it. Would you like me to adjust the scripts in the Google doc or are
        > you going to make the changes as you build each module?
        >
        > I don't think it worth that you adjust the google doc.
        we will change the doc while we build each module

        massimo
        ---

        • Re: scripts are finished

          from nateaune on Aug 23, 2009 04:37 PM
          Could someone send me the link to the Google Docs with the list of scripts
          that are made/being made? I have a few more that I'd like to see (if they
          haven't been made already):
          1. Rich text editing
          - inserting image (add global images dir)
          - full-screen mode- headings

          2. Presentation mode
          - make a page with H1 headings
          - go to settings -> presentation mode

          3. Table of Contents
          - Make a page with H1, H2, H3 headings
          - go to settings -> Table of contents

          4. Enable Wiki functionality
          - Site setup -> Markup settings
          - Wiki behavior -> Choose which types will have wiki behavior (select Page)

          5. Keywords
          - add some keywords to one page
          - add the same keywords to another page
          - add the related keywords portlet to see them related
          - show the "filed under" in search results

          9. Related
          - create one piece of content
          - related it to another piece of content
          - settings -> categorization -> related items

          10. RSS feed of search results
          - conduct a search of a keyword
          - subscribe to RSS feed in Google Reader
          - add a new piece of content that matches the keyword
          - show that this new item automatically appears in RSS feed

          11. Add a new portlet
          - move it up and down
          - block it from appearing in a subfolder

          12. Preventing link breakage-

          13. Make a sitemap
          - click on sitemap for default
          - site setup ->

          14. Enable a content rule
          - site setup -> content rules
          - add new image to this container
          - go to image container- click on "rules" tab

          15. Changing the language

          and some add-ons products (this assumes of course, that they have these
          installed)
          1. Multimedia (collective.flowplayer)
          - Inserting Flash video
          - Inserting Audio- Kupu ->

          2. Workflow (collective.workflowed)
          - adding a new state
          - adding a new transition
          - making a new workflow

          3. Bulk upload (Products.PloneFlashUpload or collective.juploadify)
          - create a new folder
          - click on Upload tab
          - add a bunch of images
          - site setup -> flash upload -> add video type(related to making a
          slideshow)

          4. Making a slideshow (Products.SlideshowFolder)
          - add some images to a folder
          - actions -> make slideshow
          - slideshow settings -> - disable slideshow

          5. Creating a form with PloneFormGen

          On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Massimo Azzolini <
          massimo.azzolini@...> wrote:

          > On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Sam Knox <sam@...> wrote:
          >
          >>  Got it. Would you like me to adjust the scripts in the Google doc or are
          >> you going to make the changes as you build each module?
          >>
          >> I don't think it worth that you adjust the google doc.
          > we will change the doc while we build each module
          >
          > massimo
          > ---
          >

          > --
          > Archive: http://www.coactivate.org/[…]/1250529731346<http://www.coactivate.org/projects/collectiveamberjack/lists/collectiveamberjack-discussion/archive/2009/08/1250529731346>

          Nate Aune - natea@...
          http://www.jazkarta.com

          ** Learn best practices for deploying your Plone sites at our upcoming Plone
          Deployment Training in Budapest **
          http://plonedeployment-natesig.eventbrite.com

          • Re: scripts are finished

            from vincentfretin on Aug 24, 2009 03:02 AM
            Hi,

            I shared the google doc with you.

            Vincent

            On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Nate Aune <natea@...> wrote:

            > Could someone send me the link to the Google Docs with the list of scripts
            > that are made/being made? I have a few more that I'd like to see (if they
            > haven't been made already):
            > 1. Rich text editing
            > - inserting image (add global images dir)
            > - full-screen mode- headings
            >
            > 2. Presentation mode
            > - make a page with H1 headings
            > - go to settings -> presentation mode
            >
            > 3. Table of Contents
            > - Make a page with H1, H2, H3 headings
            > - go to settings -> Table of contents
            >
            > 4. Enable Wiki functionality
            > - Site setup -> Markup settings
            > - Wiki behavior -> Choose which types will have wiki behavior (select Page)
            >
            > 5. Keywords
            > - add some keywords to one page
            > - add the same keywords to another page
            > - add the related keywords portlet to see them related
            > - show the "filed under" in search results
            >
            > 9. Related
            > - create one piece of content
            > - related it to another piece of content
            > - settings -> categorization -> related items
            >
            > 10. RSS feed of search results
            > - conduct a search of a keyword
            > - subscribe to RSS feed in Google Reader
            > - add a new piece of content that matches the keyword
            > - show that this new item automatically appears in RSS feed
            >
            > 11. Add a new portlet
            > - move it up and down
            > - block it from appearing in a subfolder
            >
            > 12. Preventing link breakage-
            >
            > 13. Make a sitemap
            > - click on sitemap for default
            > - site setup ->
            >
            > 14. Enable a content rule
            > - site setup -> content rules
            > - add new image to this container
            > - go to image container- click on "rules" tab
            >
            > 15. Changing the language
            >
            > and some add-ons products (this assumes of course, that they have these
            > installed)
            > 1. Multimedia (collective.flowplayer)
            > - Inserting Flash video
            > - Inserting Audio- Kupu ->
            >
            > 2. Workflow (collective.workflowed)
            > - adding a new state
            > - adding a new transition
            > - making a new workflow
            >
            > 3. Bulk upload (Products.PloneFlashUpload or collective.juploadify)
            > - create a new folder
            > - click on Upload tab
            > - add a bunch of images
            > - site setup -> flash upload -> add video type(related to making a
            > slideshow)
            >
            > 4. Making a slideshow (Products.SlideshowFolder)
            > - add some images to a folder
            > - actions -> make slideshow
            > - slideshow settings -> - disable slideshow
            >
            > 5. Creating a form with PloneFormGen

          • RE: scripts are finished

            from samknox on Aug 25, 2009 11:06 AM
            Hey Nate - As time allows, I'd like to add more tours too. For now, I
            just want to make the initial twelve get done in time for Plone 4
            release.

            Sam

            <massimo.azzolini@...> wrote:

[...]

            Archive: http://www.coactivate.org/[...]/1251059851792
            <http://www.coactivate.org/projects/collectiveamberjack/lists/collective
            amberjack-discussion/archive/2009/08/1251059851792>
            questions.

            • Re: scripts are finished

              from massimo on Aug 26, 2009 04:09 AM
              hi,

              I've just committed a modification to the way AJ gets the current step. now,
              since it's based on a cookie and no more on url/xpath we can complete some
              of the tours that where in stand by.
              I need to rethink to the prev/next buttons since:
              - they relies on urls (not on step's number)
              - do we really need them? more, most of the steps may break if we come back.
              e.g. save a page (go back then re-save), or publish a page (a back doesn't
              change the state)

              due to the pb with saving forms, I told to mirna to just "describe" and not
              actually implement the save actions that actually don't work.

              So we'll have asap all the 12 tours available, not complete in any point,
              but running.

              next we'll list all the missing js functionality and we'll start to fix them
              Since P4 will use on tinymce, we'll try to fix them first with tiny then
              with kupu.

              I really like the "next step" and the light bulb near to the completed tours
              :)

              bye

              massimo
              ---

              On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Sam Knox <sam@...> wrote:

              >  Hey Nate – As time allows, I’d like to add more tours too. For now, I
              > just want to make the initial twelve get done in time for Plone 4 release.
              >

              > Sam

              • Re: scripts are finished

                from vincentfretin on Aug 26, 2009 12:38 PM
                On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Massimo Azzolini <
                massimo.azzolini@...> wrote:

                > hi,
                >
                > I've just committed a modification to the way AJ gets the current step.
                > now, since it's based on a cookie and no more on url/xpath we can complete
                > some of the tours that where in stand by.
                > I need to rethink to the prev/next buttons since:
                > - they relies on urls (not on step's number)
                > - do we really need them? more, most of the steps may break if we come
                > back. e.g. save a page (go back then re-save), or publish a page (a back
                > doesn't change the state)

                Well, I was thinking to remove them completely too, so let's remove them.

                > due to the pb with saving forms, I told to mirna to just "describe" and not
                > actually implement the save actions that actually don't work.
                >
                > So we'll have asap all the 12 tours available, not complete in any point,
                > but running.
                >
                > next we'll list all the missing js functionality and we'll start to fix
                > them
                > Since P4 will use on tinymce, we'll try to fix them first with tiny then
                > with kupu.
                >
                > I really like the "next step" and the light bulb near to the completed
                > tours :)

                I'm glad you like it. The bulb is always visible, it's just a cosmetic
                image, it doesn't have any meaning.

                Vincent

                • RE: scripts are finished

                  from samknox on Aug 26, 2009 02:20 PM
                  - do we really need them? more, most of the steps may break if we come
                  back. e.g. save a page (go back then re-save), or publish a page (a back
                  doesn't change the state)

                  I would say no, since going back would mean having to undo changes.

                  Sam

                  <massimo.azzolini@...> wrote:

[...]

                  Archive: http://www.coactivate.org/[...]/1251304690397
                  <http://www.coactivate.org/projects/collectiveamberjack/lists/collective
                  amberjack-discussion/archive/2009/08/1251304690397>
                  questions.

            • Re: scripts are finished

              from vincentfretin on Aug 25, 2009 11:16 AM
              Well I don't know if it will be ready for Plone 4. The FWT has already
              started reviewing PLIPs, normally all PLIP should have been reviewed the 30
              august.
              Massimo and Mirna have difficulties to implement the remaining tours.
              And the important thing of this PLIP, an option for the unified installer to
              install collective.amberjack at the Plone site creation is not done yet.

              Vincent

              On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Sam Knox <sam@...> wrote:

              >  Hey Nate – As time allows, I’d like to add more tours too. For now, I
              > just want to make the initial twelve get done in time for Plone 4 release.
              >

              > Sam

              • Re: scripts are finished

                from massimo on Aug 25, 2009 11:36 AM
                the main pb is about simulating the form submit using javascript.
                no one replied to my help request in plone-dev's list and now we're trying
                to find a solution by ourselves.
                but it's tricky :(

                the other pb was about the way the single step is managed by amberjack. but
                for this one I almost finished. it's just a matter of time.

                For the 30th Aug we can show the already finished tours to the FWT.
                Do you think they are few?

                bye

                massimo
                ---

                On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Vincent Fretin <vincent.fretin@...>wrote:

                > Well I don't know if it will be ready for Plone 4. The FWT has already
                > started reviewing PLIPs, normally all PLIP should have been reviewed the 30
                > august.
                > Massimo and Mirna have difficulties to implement the remaining tours.
                > And the important thing of this PLIP, an option for the unified installer
                > to install collective.amberjack at the Plone site creation is not done yet.
                >
                > Vincent
                >

                > On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Sam Knox <sam@...> wrote:
                >
                >>  Hey Nate – As time allows, I’d like to add more tours too. For now, I
                >> just want to make the initial twelve get done in time for Plone 4 release.
                >>

                >> Sam
                >>

                > --
                > Archive: http://www.coactivate.org/[…]/1251213402574<http://www.coactivate.org/projects/collectiveamberjack/lists/collectiveamberjack-discussion/archive/2009/08/1251213402574>

                • Re: scripts are finished

                  from vincentfretin on Aug 25, 2009 11:42 AM
                  On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Massimo Azzolini <
                  massimo.azzolini@...> wrote:

                  > the main pb is about simulating the form submit using javascript.
                  > no one replied to my help request in plone-dev's list and now we're trying
                  > to find a solution by ourselves.
                  > but it's tricky :(
                  >
                  > the other pb was about the way the single step is managed by amberjack. but
                  > for this one I almost finished. it's just a matter of time.
                  >
                  > For the 30th Aug we can show the already finished tours to the FWT.
                  > Do you think they are few?

                  I sent a mail to plone-developers explaining our situation. Please follow
                  the thread there.
                  Vincent

                  • Re: scripts are finished

                    from massimo on Aug 25, 2009 11:44 AM