• Deliverance Discussion

  • Kupu won't save through Deliverance

    from dfick on Jun 30, 2009 02:00 AM
    I have Deliverance running on top of the standard Plone theme. (actually the Plone Tableless theme).

    The complete setup looks like this

    Apache in front with mod_deflate to do HTTP Compression
    Deliverance doing the themeing voodoo that it do
    Plone 3.17

    Everything seems to work reasonably well except Kupu.

    Kupu (stock version that ships with Plone 3.17) will load fine only after I created the following rules in the deliverance.xml file:

    	<proxy path="contains: emptypage" class="emptypage">
    		<dest href="http://127.0.0.1:8080/" />
    	</proxy>
    	<rule class="emptypage">
    		<replace content="element:/html/head"  theme="element:/html/head"  />
    		<replace content="element:/html/body"  theme="element:/html/body"  />

    	</rule>

    This rule was necessary because the hint in emptypage.pt (<meta http-equiv="x-deliverance-no-theme" content="1">) doesn't seem to prevent Deliverance from applying the theme.

    When switching into Plone's edit mode, Kupu loads fine and all the controls and windows load and populate with all the existing data.  Edits can be made on screen and the Submit button sends a POST back to Apache, but the response

    I can bypass the Apache and hit Deliverance directly.  Still, Kupu loads fine but saves don't commit.

    I wonder if the order of elements in the head are being reorganized in a way that is incompatible with Kupu.

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Don Fick
    don@...

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

    from ianb on Jul 01, 2009 04:27 PM
    One problem people have had with Kupu is that it looks for the
    Zope-specific use of a <base> tag to identify the location of the
    object (instead of location.href or something).  If you configure
    Deliverance to rewrite links (<response rewrite-links="1" /> then it
    will eliminate the <base> tag.  I think people have gotten it to work
    just by adjusting that configuration.

    On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Don Fick<don@...> wrote:
    > I have Deliverance running on top of the standard Plone theme. (actually the Plone Tableless theme).
    >
    > The complete setup looks like this
    >
    > Apache in front with mod_deflate to do HTTP Compression
    > Deliverance doing the themeing voodoo that it do
    > Plone 3.17
    >
    > Everything seems to work reasonably well except Kupu.
    >
    > Kupu (stock version that ships with Plone 3.17) will load fine only after I created the following rules in the deliverance.xml file:
    >
    >        <proxy path="contains: emptypage" class="emptypage">
    >                <dest href="http://127.0.0.1:8080/" />
    >        </proxy>
    >        <rule class="emptypage">
    >                <replace content="element:/html/head"  theme="element:/html/head"  />
    >                <replace content="element:/html/body"  theme="element:/html/body"  />
    >
    >        </rule>
    >
    > This rule was necessary because the hint in emptypage.pt (<meta http-equiv="x-deliverance-no-theme" content="1">) doesn't seem to prevent Deliverance from applying the theme.
    >
    > When switching into Plone's edit mode, Kupu loads fine and all the controls and windows load and populate with all the existing data.  Edits can be made on screen and the Submit button sends a POST back to Apache, but the response
    >
    > I can bypass the Apache and hit Deliverance directly.  Still, Kupu loads fine but saves don't commit.
    >
    > I wonder if the order of elements in the head are being reorganized in a way that is incompatible with Kupu.
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Don Fick
    > don@...
    >

    > --
    > Archive: https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/06/1246327237306

    Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://topplabs.org/civichacker

    • Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

      from unshift on Jul 01, 2009 07:12 PM
      I actually have the same problem with a PloneFormGen-generated form.  I'm
      applying no themeing right now and have link rewriting on, but pressing the
      "submit" button results in a POST showing up in my Zope access log, and
      getting ignored.  The form works fine from the native Plone interface or
      through an Apache proxy, however.

      On Jul 01, 2009 12:27 PM, Ian Bicking wrote:
      > One problem people have had with Kupu is that it looks for the
      > Zope-specific use of a <base> tag to identify the location of the
      > object (instead of location.href or something).  If you configure
      > Deliverance to rewrite links (<response rewrite-links="1" /> then it
      > will eliminate the <base> tag.  I think people have gotten it to work
      > just by adjusting that configuration.
      >

      > On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Don Fick<don@...> wrote:
      > > I have Deliverance running on top of the standard Plone theme. (actually
      > > the Plone Tableless theme).
      > >
      > > The complete setup looks like this
      > >
      > > Apache in front with mod_deflate to do HTTP Compression
      > > Deliverance doing the themeing voodoo that it do
      > > Plone 3.17
      > >
      > > Everything seems to work reasonably well except Kupu.
      > >
      > > Kupu (stock version that ships with Plone 3.17) will load fine only after
      > > I created the following rules in the deliverance.xml file:
      > >
      > >        <proxy path="contains: emptypage" class="emptypage">
      > >                <dest href="http://127.0.0.1:8080/" />
      > >        </proxy>
      > >        <rule class="emptypage">
      > >                <replace content="element:/html/head"
      > >  theme="element:/html/head"  />
                     <replace
      > > content="element:/html/body"  theme="element:/html/body"  />
      > >
      > >        </rule>
      > >
      > > This rule was necessary because the hint in emptypage.pt (<meta
      > > http-equiv="x-deliverance-no-theme" content="1">) doesn't seem to prevent
      > > Deliverance from applying the theme.
      > >
      > > When switching into Plone's edit mode, Kupu loads fine and all the
      > > controls and windows load and populate with all the existing data.  Edits
      > > can be made on screen and the Submit button sends a POST back to Apache,
      > > but the response
      > >
      > > I can bypass the Apache and hit Deliverance directly.  Still, Kupu loads
      > > fine but saves don't commit.
      > >
      > > I wonder if the order of elements in the head are being reorganized in a
      > > way that is incompatible with Kupu.
      > >
      > > Any ideas would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Don Fick
      > > don@...
      > >

      > > --
      > > Archive:
      > >
      > > https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/06/1246327237306

      • Re: Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

        from dfick on Jul 02, 2009 02:27 PM
        @Ian: A good tip but rewrite links is definitely not present.

        @Matt: Likewise I see some of the same problems when trying to use
        plone_control_panel functions through Deliverance, such as /@@site-
        controlpanel.

        I setup a completely fresh install of Plone 3.17 (default theme) and a
        very simple Deliverance rules file.

        The key parts of the Deliverance rule file are"
        	<proxy path="/">
        		<dest href="http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/donfick.com:8085/deltest/VirtualHostRoot
        " />
        	</proxy>
        	<rule suppress-standard="1">
        		<replace content="element:/html/head"  theme="element:/html/head"  />
        		<replace content="element:/html/body"  theme="element:/html/body"  />
        	</rule>

        So there is no <response rewrite-links="1" />

        The pages server out of Plone and through Deliverance with no
        problem.  Both sites look exactly the same. Kupu loads without a
        problem. I have done diff comparisons and the only difference between
        the HTML "direct-from-Plone" and "through-Deliverance" is the hostname
        paths in the href attributes due to virtual host monster.

        When a full page Kupu POST goes straight to Plone,  the server
        responds with a 302 and the browser loads the redirect without a
        problem and the changes are saved.
        When a full page Kupu POST goes to Deliverance, the Plone server
        responds with a 200 and the content contains a full HTML page. The
        HTML is the full, original edit page HTML without the edits. Zope log
        file snippets appear below.

        This problem doesn't affect all POSTs.  The Plone commenting function
        works without a problem.

        Is there an option to increase the logging level in Zope/Plone?
        Nothing related to this appears in the instance.log and nothing
        appears in the ZMI error_log.

        Thanks,
        Don

        ----------------------
        Standard Plone

        This is a successful edit with content stored in Plone:
        Zope instance-Z2.log following a POST directly to Plone. The server
        responds with a 302 and the browser loads the redirect without a
        problem and the changes are saved.
        74.183.224.6 - Anonymous [02/Jul/2009:13:08:53 +0000] "POST /deltest/
        front-page/atct_edit HTTP/1.1" 302 389 "http://slice1.donfick.com:8080/deltest/front-page/edit
        " "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11)
        Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11"
        74.183.224.6 - Anonymous [02/Jul/2009:13:08:53 +0000] "GET /deltest/
        front-page/@@plone_lock_operations/safe_unlock HTTP/1.1" 204 144 "http://slice1.donfick.com:8080/deltest/front-page/edit
        front-page HTTP/1.1" 200 35985 "http://slice1.donfick.com:8080/deltest/front-page/edit
        " "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11)
        Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11"

        POST reponse header
        (Status-Line)	HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
        Server	Zope/(Zope 2.10.6-final, python 2.4.5, linux2) ZServer/1.1
        Plone/3.1.7
        Date	Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:53:11 GMT
        Content-Length	42
        Content-Type	text/plain; charset=utf-8
        Location	http://donfick.com:8080/deltest/front-page
        Set-Cookie	statusmessages="AcRDaGFuZ2VzIHNhdmVkLmluZm8="; Path=/

        ---------------------------
        With Deliverance in Front

        This is a failed edit:
        Zope instance-Z2.log following a POST through Deliverance. The server
        responds with a 200 where the content is HTML
        127.0.0.1 - Anonymous [02/Jul/2009:13:01:52 +0000] "POST /
        VirtualHostBase/http/donfick.com:8085/deltest/VirtualHostRoot/front-
        page/atct_edit HTTP/1.1" 200 79486 "http://donfick.com:8085/front-page/edit
        " "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11)
        Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11"
        127.0.0.1 - Anonymous [02/Jul/2009:13:01:52 +0000] "GET /
        VirtualHostBase/http/donfick.com:8085/deltest/VirtualHostRoot/front-
        page/@@plone_lock_operations/safe_unlock HTTP/1.1" 204 144 "http://donfick.com:8085/front-page/edit
        " "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11)
        Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11"

        POST reponse header
        (Status-Line)	HTTP/1.0 200 OK
        Server	PasteWSGIServer/0.5 Python/2.5.2, Zope/(Zope 2.10.6-final,
        python 2.4.5, linux2) ZServer/1.1 Plone/3.1.7
        Date	Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:53:47 GMT, Thu, 02 Jul 2009 13:53:47 GMT
        Expires	Sat, 1 Jan 2000 00:00:00 GMT
        Content-Type	text/html;charset=utf-8
        Content-Language	en-us
        Content-Length	79345

        Don Fick
        don@...

        On Jul 1, 2009, at 3:12 PM, Matt Perry wrote:

> [...]
        >>> but the response
        >>>
        >>> I can bypass the Apache and hit Deliverance directly.  Still, Kupu
        >>> loads
        >>> fine but saves don't commit.
        >>>
        >>> I wonder if the order of elements in the head are being
        >>> reorganized in a
        >>> way that is incompatible with Kupu.
        >>>
        >>> Any ideas would be appreciated.
        >>>
        >>> Thanks,
        >>> Don Fick
        >>> don@...
        >>>

        >>> --
        >>> Archive:
        >>>
        >>> https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/06/1246327237306
        >>>

        > --
        > Archive: https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/07/1246475576932
        > questions.

        • Re: Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

          from ianb on Jul 02, 2009 03:08 PM
          If you want to see exactly what Deliverance sends to Zope, use
          --debug-headers.  Use --debug-headers --debug-headers to show the
          bodies of the requests.  It shows these on the console.

          You can match this up against LiveHTTPHeaders or what Firebug shows
          when you connect directly to Zope.  This might reveal something.

          On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Don Fick<don@...> wrote:
> [...]
          >>> Zope-specific use of a <base> tag to identify the location of the
          >>> object (instead of location.href or something).  If you configure
          >>> Deliverance to rewrite links (<response rewrite-links="1" /> then it
          >>> will eliminate the <base> tag.  I think people have gotten it to work
          >>> just by adjusting that configuration.

          >>               <replace

          >> --
          >> Archive:
          >> https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/07/1246475576932
          >>

          > --
          > Archive:
          > https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/07/1246544869144

          Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |  http://topplabs.org/civichacker

          • Re: Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

            from unshift on Jul 02, 2009 05:34 PM
            Oddly enough the headers look pretty similar between firebug <-> deliverance
            and firebug <-> Plone.

            However when I changed my form action to GET, it worked fine.  There has to
            be an error somewhere in the underlying subtleties of proxying a POST
            request -- either in the deliverance proxy itself, or in the PasteWSGI
            server.  I don't even know where to begin with PasteWSGI and I've only begun
            looking at the deliverance code, so I'm not yet sure how much of the actual
            proxying mechanics is handled by deliverance.

            As a side note, I think the "date" header is malformed from PasteWSGI.  I'm
            getting back "Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 17:32:10 GMT, Thu, 02 Jul 2009 17:32:10
            GMT" in my header.  The deliverance header log shows up correctly, so I
            think PasteWSGI it appending its own date to the existing header.

            On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Ian Bicking <ianb@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > loads

            > https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/06/1246327237306

            > >> --
            > >> Archive:
            > >>
            > https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/07/1246475576932
            > >>

            > > --
            > > Archive:
            > >
            > https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/07/1246544869144
            > >

            > --
            > Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org  |
            > http://topplabs.org/civichacker
            >

            > --
            > Archive:
            > https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/07/1246547329816

            • Re: Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

              from Tres Seaver on Jul 02, 2009 07:07 PM

              • Re: Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

                from unshift on Jul 03, 2009 12:13 AM
                Thanks for the tip!  I ran tcpdump on port 8080 (Zope server) and it seems
                that the content-type header is missing in the POST request when accessed
                through the deliverance proxy.

                This probably doesn't matter so much for the regular forms on the Plone
                site, but PloneFormGen and Kupu forms have enctype="multipart/form-data"
                which is being ignored.

                On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver@...> wrote:

                > --
                > Archive:
                > https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/07/1246561637346

                • Re: Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

                  from unshift on Jul 03, 2009 01:14 AM
                  Ok, I tracked down the bug.  It's in WSGIProxy's exactproxy.py, so it's
                  technically not a deliverance issue.

                  If you're in a virtualenv you can edit
                  ./lib/python2.5/site-packages/WSGIProxy-0.1-py2.5.egg/wsgiproxy/exactproxy.py
                  and make the following change:

                  79,80c79,80
                  <     if environ.get('Content-Type'):
                  <         headers['Content-Type'] = environ['Content-Type']
                  ---
                  >     if environ.get('CONTENT_TYPE'):
                  >         headers['Content-Type'] = environ['CONTENT_TYPE']

                  Then restart the deliverance proxy.  I have Kupu forms and my PloneFormGen
                  form working now.

                  I'll submit a proper ticket and patch to WSGIProxy.

                    - Matt

                  On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Matt Perry <matt@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the tip!  I ran tcpdump on port 8080 (Zope server) and it seems
                  > that the content-type header is missing in the POST request when accessed
                  > through the deliverance proxy.
                  >
                  > This probably doesn't matter so much for the regular forms on the Plone
                  > site, but PloneFormGen and Kupu forms have enctype="multipart/form-data"
                  > which is being ignored.
                  >

                  > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver@...> wrote:

                  >> --
                  >> Archive:
                  >> https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/07/1246561637346

                  • Re: Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

                    from unshift on Jul 03, 2009 01:21 AM
                    I checked out svn and the fix is already there, funny enough:
                    https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2008/12/1229598411425/forum_view

                    Don, If you update your WSGIProxy to the trunk version and copy it into your
                    site-packages directory, you should be all set with Kupu.

                      - Matt

                    On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Matt Perry <matt@...> wrote:

                    > Ok, I tracked down the bug.  It's in WSGIProxy's exactproxy.py, so it's
                    > technically not a deliverance issue.
                    >
                    > If you're in a virtualenv you can edit
                    > ./lib/python2.5/site-packages/WSGIProxy-0.1-py2.5.egg/wsgiproxy/exactproxy.py
                    > and make the following change:
                    >
                    > 79,80c79,80
                    > <     if environ.get('Content-Type'):
                    > <         headers['Content-Type'] = environ['Content-Type']
                    > ---
                    > >     if environ.get('CONTENT_TYPE'):
                    > >         headers['Content-Type'] = environ['CONTENT_TYPE']
                    >
                    > Then restart the deliverance proxy.  I have Kupu forms and my PloneFormGen
                    > form working now.
                    >
                    > I'll submit a proper ticket and patch to WSGIProxy.
                    >

                    >   - Matt
                    >

                    > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Matt Perry <matt@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> Thanks for the tip!  I ran tcpdump on port 8080 (Zope server) and it seems
                    >> that the content-type header is missing in the POST request when accessed
                    >> through the deliverance proxy.
                    >>
                    >> This probably doesn't matter so much for the regular forms on the Plone
                    >> site, but PloneFormGen and Kupu forms have enctype="multipart/form-data"
                    >> which is being ignored.
                    >>

                    >> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver@...>wrote:

                    >>> --
                    >>> Archive:
                    >>> https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/07/1246561637346

                    • Re: Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

                      from dfick on Jul 03, 2009 12:14 PM
                      Thanks Matt.  I dropped in the updated exactproxy.py and I can confirm
                      that the problem with Kupu editing and other multipart form posts
                      seems to be fixed.

                      I'm not sure which/where is the authoritative WSGIProxy svn
                      repository.  I ended up pulling from Webware for Python (http://svn.w4py.org/Paste/WSGIProxy/trunk
                      )  Can anyone confirm that this is the best place to get this update?

                      Thanks,
                      Don

                      Don Fick
                      don@...

                      On Jul 2, 2009, at 9:21 PM, Matt Perry wrote:

                      > I checked out svn and the fix is already there, funny enough: https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2008/12/1229598411425/forum_view
                      >
                      > Don, If you update your WSGIProxy to the trunk version and copy it
                      > into your site-packages directory, you should be all set with Kupu.
                      >
                      >   - Matt
                      >

                      > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 9:13 PM, Matt Perry <matt@...> wrote:
                      > Ok, I tracked down the bug.  It's in WSGIProxy's exactproxy.py, so
                      > it's technically not a deliverance issue.
                      >
                      > If you're in a virtualenv you can edit ./lib/python2.5/site-packages/
                      > WSGIProxy-0.1-py2.5.egg/wsgiproxy/exactproxy.py and make the
                      > following change:
                      >
                      > 79,80c79,80
                      > <     if environ.get('Content-Type'):
                      > <         headers['Content-Type'] = environ['Content-Type']
                      > ---
                      > >     if environ.get('CONTENT_TYPE'):
                      > >         headers['Content-Type'] = environ['CONTENT_TYPE']
                      >
                      > Then restart the deliverance proxy.  I have Kupu forms and my
                      > PloneFormGen form working now.
                      >
                      > I'll submit a proper ticket and patch to WSGIProxy.
                      >

                      >   - Matt
                      >

                      > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Matt Perry <matt@...> wrote:
                      > Thanks for the tip!  I ran tcpdump on port 8080 (Zope server) and it
                      > seems that the content-type header is missing in the POST request
                      > when accessed through the deliverance proxy.
                      >
                      > This probably doesn't matter so much for the regular forms on the
                      > Plone site, but PloneFormGen and Kupu forms have enctype="multipart/
                      > form-data" which is being ignored.
                      >

                      > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:06 PM, Tres Seaver <tseaver@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >

                      > --
                      > Archive: https://www.coactivate.org/projects/deliverance/lists/deliverance-discussion/archive/2009/07/1246561637346
                      > questions.
                      >

                      > --
                      > Archive: https://www.coactivate.org/[…]/1246584088044
                      > questions.

                      • Re: Re: Kupu won't save through Deliverance

                        from gawel on Jul 03, 2009 12:31 PM
                        Hi,

                        On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Don Fick<don@...> wrote:
                        > Thanks Matt.  I dropped in the updated exactproxy.py and I can confirm that
                        > the problem with Kupu editing and other multipart form posts seems to be
                        > fixed.
                        > I'm not sure which/where is the authoritative WSGIProxy svn repository.  I
                        > ended up pulling from Webware for Python
                        > (http://svn.w4py.org/Paste/WSGIProxy/trunk)  Can anyone confirm that this is
                        > the best place to get this update?

                        I guess http://svn.pythonpaste.org/Paste/WSGIProxy/trunk/ is the
                        official repository