Unless otherwise labeled, all media on this site is licensed under a CreativeCommons-Attribution-Share-Alike license. This index last updated: 13-09-2015
- The values and ethical standards that guide our work
Meet the Team
- People involved and working on our projects
CalendarDisintermedia Calendar - Upcoming events that Disintermedia crew are involved in or endorsing.
- People and organisations who are offering free services or funding to help us with our work
Disintermedia Blog - Irregular commentary on tools, techniques, and current issues in free culture and slow culture
Libre (as in Library) Research
Mahi Rorohiko - Te Reo Māori support in free code software, and how to use it
Women Active in Libre Commons
- a list of online talks by women who are involved in various kinds of libre/ commons projects, or are talking about relevant issues.
Hack Pack - basic tools for fixing or reconditioning old PCs
- exploring the range of music available under CreativeCommons licenses on websites like Jamendo, Magnatune, BandCamp, and SoundClound.
Privacy Not Privatization
- Challenges the way the goodwill attached to the private, in the sense of privacy. This association is used in the euphemism 'privatisation' to justify enclosement of 'common goods', making them 'private property', most of which is increasingly controlled by global corporate elites.
Freedom to whISPer - Most people feel they have a fundamental right to communicate in privacy. Emerging technology, and the laws being made to regulate it, threaten to erode that right, trying to force ISPs (Internet Service Providers) to spy on their customers on behalf of the government, and corporations.
Tipping Out the TPPA - The 'Trans-Pacific Peasant Agreement' includes various clauses which intend to criminalise the sharing of digital information, under the guise of harmonizing NZ laws with US laws for the purposes of facilitating trade across Pacific countries.
Teasing out TISA
- The 'Tyranny in Services Agreement' is intended to pave the way for further corporatization of public services currently provided by government departments and not-for-profits under their oversight, and includes various clauses which threaten data sovereignty and net neutrality.
Free our Streams - TVNZ is told by program vendors it has to use proprietary software for its OnDemand streaming service. Public television needs to support libre content, open standards, and free code software.
- Software platforms that can used for collaborative authoring of text by users in multiple locations.
Online Decision Platforms
- Software that can be used to make democratic group decisions online
free code operating system
- A record of the OS I've tried and how well they worked for me
Free Culture Timeline - Tracing the history of free culture by listing milestones in its emergence
Bumble Networks - Building resilient wireless networks as tools for sharing community knowledge about living sustainably
- Advice on how to build an open source development community around existing software source code.
Free as in Imagination
- Libre Game Development and game reviews
ComPost - Researching and advocating for eco-responsible disposal of end-of-life computers and other electronic equipments like cell phones, digital televisions
Notable Books - Books which can be read gratis (at no charge), usually under CreativeCommons license, either online, as .PDF download, or both
Notable Interviews - audio interviews of note which can be heard gratis, usually under CreativeCommons license, either online or as a download or both, in a free format like Ogg Opus or Ogg Vorbis
Notable Films - Films which can be watched gratis (at no charge), usually under CreativeCommons license, either online, as a download, or both
SpeechRight vs Copyright - In the digital era, where publishing has become entangled with speech, any limitation on the freedom to publish impacts on freedom of speech
SocialForges - A list of online hosts for the incubation of community projects, such that their ideas and methods could be copied in other communities
Print-to-Order and Digital Publishing
- Self-publishing allows authors to keep both their copyright (however they choose to use it) and the majority of the revenue from sales, and print-to-order and e-book publishing platforms make the more affordable and scalable
Community Stewardship Manifesto - Distilling the past experiences of free code software and free culture projects, both positive and negative, into a living document that ensures more effective stewardship of digital commons projects into the future
Wiki synchronization - Ever seen two wikis, under the same CC license, with a page each on the same subject covering different aspects?
Freedom Technology Champions - How do people decide what digital communication tools to use? How are use trends shaped by early adopters and software evangelists?
Leaving the Googleverse - using free code, federated alternatives to the many products of the GoogleBeast
For-profit Freedom Forges - a list of businesses developing free code software and some info on how they earn revenue to pay their staff and cover their external costs
Email Ate My Life - Strypey spent one whole year not using the internet, and is working on a book about the experience, and what he learned from it.
Gaming On Libre Distribution
- GOLD is a proposal for a user-friendly, console-style gaming experience, running on a 100% free code GNU/Linux distribution, connected to a regularly-updated repository of all available free code games.
PermaGeeks/ Aotearoa Permaculture Network - Providing email lists and other digital information services to permaculturists in the bioregions of Aotearoa, thanks to CoActivate.org, Loomio.org, and Mumble.co.nz
CounterClaim - Exploring controversial topics by teasing out claims, and counterclaims, and the evidence given by claimants, including the Who Said It articles on public figures and institutions who appear in the new media in Aotearoa
Dead Fuel Stations
- A photo essay illustrating one of the growing but unnoticed impacts of the peaking of global oil supplies
Projects We Support
Datatrician - Setting up cheap or free training in how to recondition second-hand PCs using free code operating systems, and maintain them in working order.
Transparent Hardware - An online order service that researches and promotes hardware that ships with free code software, and support for libre formats and protocols, and shows them off at their best.
- a bash terminal emulator that works as a toolbar, allowing easier use and learning of the command line environment from within graphic desktops
Core Us - testing free code software for online voice conferencing and feedback to developers
- an OpenHatch.org style platform for highlighting promising free code projects which are currently orphaned
In the Event of an Event - A networked calendaring system making it easy to find out about local events of interest to us
FileGardens - peer-to-peer software, involving a desktop client, but with a user interface built using web standards, displayed using a browser
Free Code for Free Humans
- a set of open trademarks that can be displayed as badges on the homepage of free code software projects, and on the packaging and case of devices built on free design hardware
Apples with Apples+
- a web series that compares common products, demonstrating that although sometimes one version is more expensive only because of the trendy brand name, there can also be substantial differences between the high-quality and low-quality versions.
Common Culture - A follow-up project to
- a livestream showing specifically promoting CC licensed works, and especially kiwi works, with a bit of commons culture/ software freedom news, interviews etc.
A Growing Commons - collaboration on a high quality suite of Open Educational Resources for teaching and learning permaculture design
LibreVideo - Using free code software to create audio-visual works, in libre formats, under a libre license
MediaFlood - A user-friendly documentation wiki showing people how to share their multimedia creations over the net (live or delayed streaming, or for download) using free code tools
Oggle - Creating CDs and DVDs, or monogrammed USB sticks, of media works licensed under CreativeCommons, in libre formats, plus some free code media creation and player software
Virtual Hat - A pool of funds contributed by people who share music online, shared out to kiwi musicians according to how often their music is shared.
CultureAuction - A crowdfunding site with a difference, where people can pledge money towards a given piece of ARR (All-Rights-Reserved) copyright being released into the CreativeCommons
Sci-fi Upgrades - fan-managed projects to revamp the visual effects of classic sci-fi television shows, testing the limits of copyright limitations over non-commercial derivative works
Each of these projects attempts to fill a gap that no existing group or website is working on. Each one could be carried out either by Disintermedia ourselves, as part of a coalition with other groups (as in the case of PublicACTA), or by working under the umbrella of another organziation (eg Oggle could be done under the umbrella of CreativeCommons Aotearoa/ NZ). The important thing is if they are good ideas, they need to happen!
Other Documents in the Works
Acting Up Against ACTA
- The 'Anti-Citizen Trade Agreement' was an attempt to criminalise the sharing of digital information, under the guise of preventing economic losses due to counterfeiting of physical goods. ACTA was defeated by an international campaign, which included PublicACTA and the Wellington Declaration, which was supported by Disintermedia.
Collapse the class pyramid, turn middle management into self-management, turn life into an art and art into an experience, not a product. Share, give and take, speak your truth and hear mine, in diversity, we find the only lasting unity.Health warning: The thoughts expressed in these writings may influence you to question common sense, traditional wisdom, the efficiency of privatization, and the inevitability of a humanity divided against itself, and against the rest of the natural world. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down...