Uncontested Facts about 'Peak Oil'
- World (conventional crude) oil extraction peaked in 2006:
Claims and Counter-Claims about 'Peak Oil'
|1. Eventually the global extraction rate of oil will peak, and tail off, because oil is a fossil fuel, which takes millions of years to form.||1. World oil extraction will never peak because oil is abiotic, constantly forming beneath the Earth's crust, and injected into the crust through "deep faults". See this article written by J. F. Kenney of the Gas Resources Corporation|
|2. Oil extraction in the continental USA peaked in the 1970s||2. Oil extraction in the continental USA did not peak in the 1970s|
|3. Geologist M. King Hubbert accurately predicted this 1970s USA peak||3. Hubbert's prediction of the USA extraction peak was not accurate|
4. World oil extraction is at or near peak, as of 2010
4. World oil extraction will not peak until after 2030 (2008, MarketMatch on International Energy Agency report)
Points of Interest
- More claims and references about peak oil can be found in Strypey's Indymedia articles 'The Even More Inconvenient Truth and the SocialForge Solution', and 'Peak oil: The End of Capitalism or the Beginning?'
- Cheryl Rolfer makes the case for Peak Oil skepticism in 2005, a year before the 2006 peak announced by the IEA in 2011
- Confessions of an Ex-Doomer makes the case for a cautiously optimistic response to the peaking of oil extraction