A mailing list management application.
Listen is a mailing list management application for Plone that allows for easy creation of mailing lists through the Plone interface, forum-like posting and viewing of archives, and a choice of list types. Alecm is the original author of listen. It is based on the venerable MailBoxer Zope Product by Maik Jablonski, and offers most of the features of that product. Key features include:
- Easily create mailing lists through the Plone interface.
- There are three list types with sophisticated and intuitive behavior
- Optional archiving of mail with or without attachments.
- Fully threaded archive display, including a forum-like view.
- Portal members and visitors can easily subscribe/unsubscribe themselves through the Plone interface.
- Each list maintains its own catalog featuring a full text index of messages.
- Members can make responses with quotation to archived messages through the Plone interface.
- Automatic masking of member email addresses with links to author pages.
- Provides a registry of lists on a Zope instance allowing lists to be added without any additional SMTP server configuration.
- Performs well due to use of simple Zope types and z3/Five techniques. Capable of higher mail volume that MailBoxer itself, and much greater volume than Archetypes-based mailing list systems.
This product makes heavy use of Zope3 features within Plone via Five; it uses views, adapters, Zope3 schemas (add and edit views), local utilities, factories, and events. It is not an ideally componentized application because of its dependence on MailBoxer, which is used as the base class for the primary content type, and provides more logic/functionality than an ideal content class would. Hopefully, those parts which make heavy use of Five technologies can serve as a helpful example for those intending to use Five in their own products.
Listen Iteration Goals [Would like to phase this page out asap!]