• OpenCore Dev

  • Best practices for deployment of opencore

    from makash on Feb 23, 2009 10:42 AM
    Hi,

    I have got it up and running on network.headstart.in:8001/openplans
    Email is working and so is everything else.

    I want to know what is an ideal way of running this. Should this be
    running behind Apache or should I change the default port to 80

    Also when I had given the default port as 8000 it is accessible on
    8001, is that the standard behavior.

    --
    regards
    akash

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: Best practices for deployment of opencore

    from makash on Feb 23, 2009 10:43 AM
    Also when I installed the software my hostname was different. Now I
    will be serving it from a different hostname. Should I make another
    build or can I change the default hostname somewhere in the config?

    regards
    Akash

    --
    regards
    akash

    • Re: Re: Best practices for deployment of opencore

      from Robert Marianski on Feb 23, 2009 04:32 PM
      On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 04:13:24PM +0530, Akash wrote:
      > Also when I installed the software my hostname was different. Now I
      > will be serving it from a different hostname. Should I make another
      > build or can I change the default hostname somewhere in the config?
      >
      > regards
      > Akash

      Did you explicitly set a hostname? Or is that just the name of the
      directory where you built? AFAIK, it should "just work" under different
      hostnames, because url calculation is dynamic. Note that absolute links
      from wiki pages and blog posts won't change.

      > 2009/2/23 Akash <akashmahajan@...>:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I have got it up and running on network.headstart.in:8001/openplans
      > > Email is working and so is everything else.

      Great!

      > > I want to know what is an ideal way of running this. Should this be
      > > running behind Apache or should I change the default port to 80

      We do generally proxy from apache. I'd recommend doing the same.

      > > Also when I had given the default port as 8000 it is accessible on
      > > 8001, is that the standard behavior.
      > >
      > > --
      > > regards
      > > akash

      It is standard behavior. The first port specified is what we call the
      base port, and all other built components have an offset from the base
      port. This is useful so that all built components for an environment
      have ports that are close to each other.

      Did you just build opencore? We usually build a full stack, with
      deliverance listening on the base port, in your case 8000. You don't
      have to do it this way, but projects created will not have tasktracker,
      wordpress, and twirlip.

      Robert

      • Re: Re: Best practices for deployment of opencore

        from makash on Feb 24, 2009 11:23 AM
        I got the reverse proxy working with apache.

        A request to http://network.headstart.in is going ahead to
        http://network.headstart.in:8001/openplans

        Two questions about this.

        1. After the front page all the links have the port number 8001 in it.
        This doesn't happen on openplans.org. Do I need to add any more
        directives in my apache conf ? Or in other words how do I keep the
        port number hidden

        <Proxy *>
        	Order deny,allow
        	Allow from all
        </Proxy>

            ProxyPass        /	http://network.headstart.in:8001/openplans
            ProxyPassReverse /	http://network.headstart.in:8001/openplans
            ProxyHTMLURLMap http://network.headstart.in:8001/openplans /

        2. The welcome email I get after registering as a new user is from this id

        greetings@...

        Now that is the older FQDN before I setup the mail server and made the
        required changes. Where do I make this change to send me mails with
        the new FQDN ?
        If there is no easy way to do this I plan to just run the installation
        one more time but using the proper FQDN this time.

        regards
        Akash

        2009/2/23 Robert Marianski <rmarianski@...>:
        > On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 04:13:24PM +0530, Akash wrote:
        >> Also when I installed the software my hostname was different. Now I
        >> will be serving it from a different hostname. Should I make another
        >> build or can I change the default hostname somewhere in the config?
        >>
        >> regards
        >> Akash
        >
        > Did you explicitly set a hostname? Or is that just the name of the
        > directory where you built? AFAIK, it should "just work" under different
        > hostnames, because url calculation is dynamic. Note that absolute links
        > from wiki pages and blog posts won't change.
        >
        >> 2009/2/23 Akash <akashmahajan@...>:
        >> > Hi,
        >> >
        >> > I have got it up and running on network.headstart.in:8001/openplans
        >> > Email is working and so is everything else.
        >
        > Great!
        >
        >> > I want to know what is an ideal way of running this. Should this be
        >> > running behind Apache or should I change the default port to 80
        >
        > We do generally proxy from apache. I'd recommend doing the same.
        >
        >> > Also when I had given the default port as 8000 it is accessible on
        >> > 8001, is that the standard behavior.
        >> >
        >> > --
        >> > regards
        >> > akash
        >
        > It is standard behavior. The first port specified is what we call the
        > base port, and all other built components have an offset from the base
        > port. This is useful so that all built components for an environment
        > have ports that are close to each other.
        >
        > Did you just build opencore? We usually build a full stack, with
        > deliverance listening on the base port, in your case 8000. You don't
        > have to do it this way, but projects created will not have tasktracker,
        > wordpress, and twirlip.
        >
        > Robert
        >

        > --
        > Archive: http://www.openplans.org/projects/opencore/lists/opencore-dev/archive/2009/02/1235406747908

        regards
        akash

        • Re: Re: Best practices for deployment of opencore

          from ra on Feb 24, 2009 06:20 PM
          Akash wrote:
          > I got the reverse proxy working with apache.
          >
          > A request to http://network.headstart.in is going ahead to
          > http://network.headstart.in:8001/openplans
          >
          > Two questions about this.

          <---SNIP the two questions--->

          you don't say in your what mechanism you used to install opencore in the first
          place.  the best practice way to get opencore running is to use the
          OpenPlansBoot package; the steps for doing so are spelled out in considerable
          detail on the "getting started" page:

          http://www.openplans.org/projects/opencore/getting-started

          once you've gotten that going, you should have a full OpenPlans stack
          installed.  if you chose 8000 as your base port, then localhost:8000 would be
          where you would point your browser, or any proxy server that you may wish to
          use.  the server process that is running on port 8000 will handle the
          necessary routing beyond that.

          when you do this, Zope will be running on 8001, so you _could_ point a browser
          at localhost:8001/openplans and you'll see pretty much the same thing.  you'll
          be missing functionality, however... most notably, blogs won't work, since
          WordPress listens on a different port.  plus you'll have to deal w/ all of the
          virtualhost mapping stuff yourself, as you've discovered.

          while it is possible to get value out of the software by just installing the
          Zope/Plone pieces and running them by themselves, it's not going to be as
          smooth an experience, and the support you get from this list will probably not
          be as good, since we all run the full stack.

          possibly you've already installed the full stack and you're just using the
          wrong port... if so, then you might just be able to point your browser and
          your proxy at port 8000 and everything will start working.  if not, though,
          i'd strongly recommend you start over and use the OpenPlansBoot package to
          bootstrap your installation.

          in any event, the more information you provide to us about how you've
          performed your current installation, the better we'll be able to help you.

          -r

          • Re: Re: Best practices for deployment of opencore

            from makash on Feb 24, 2009 07:05 PM
            2009/2/24 Rob Miller <robm@...>:

            > you don't say in your what mechanism you used to install opencore in the
            > first place.  the best practice way to get opencore running is to use the
            > OpenPlansBoot package; the steps for doing so are spelled out in
            > considerable detail on the "getting started" page:
            >
            > http://www.openplans.org/projects/opencore/getting-started

            I followed all the steps given on the getting started page to install
            it on a ubuntu 8.04 server.
            I selected openplan/trunk as the parameter for newbuild.sh . I am
            assuming this installs the full openplans stack.

            Just to confirm

            $ ./supervisorctl status
            cabochon                         RUNNING    pid 25218, uptime 0:03:42
            deliverance                      RUNNING    pid 25225, uptime 0:03:42
            henge                            RUNNING    pid 25219, uptime 0:03:42
            maildrop                         RUNNING    pid 25222, uptime 0:03:42
            opencore                         RUNNING    pid 25220, uptime 0:03:42
            opencore-zeo                     RUNNING    pid 25227, uptime 0:03:42
            tasktracker                      RUNNING    pid 25282, uptime 0:03:31
            twirlip                          RUNNING    pid 25221, uptime 0:03:42
            wordpress                        RUNNING    pid 25224, uptime 0:03:42

            After getting the full install I ran supervisord and pointed my
            browser to http://mysite:8001
            Since on port 8000 the service is not listening on the external
            interface I did the reverse proxy steps after this and got that
            working.

            > once you've gotten that going, you should have a full OpenPlans stack
            > installed.  if you chose 8000 as your base port, then localhost:8000 would
            > be where you would point your browser, or any proxy server that you may wish
            > to use.  the server process that is running on port 8000 will handle the
            > necessary routing beyond that.

            If I give the point the proxypass directive to 8000 the CSS files
            aren't loading properly.

            • Re: Re: Best practices for deployment of opencore

              from douglas on Feb 24, 2009 07:15 PM
              On Feb 24, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Akash wrote:

              > After getting the full install I ran supervisord and pointed my
              > browser to http://mysite:8001
              > Since on port 8000 the service is not listening on the external
              > interface I did the reverse proxy steps after this and got that
              > working.
              Ahhh, ok... By default, the server assumes that the proxy is on the
              same server, which is why it is running on localhost only.  You can
              edit the etc/deliverance/deliverance.ini file and change the second
              instance of localhost to 0.0.0.0

              • Re: Re: Best practices for deployment of opencore

                from slinkp on Feb 24, 2009 07:54 PM
                On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 02:18:42PM -0500, Douglas Mayle wrote:
                > On Feb 24, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Akash wrote:
                >
                >> After getting the full install I ran supervisord and pointed my
                >> browser to http://mysite:8001
                >> Since on port 8000 the service is not listening on the external
                >> interface I did the reverse proxy steps after this and got that
                >> working.
                > Ahhh, ok... By default, the server assumes that the proxy is on the same
                > server, which is why it is running on localhost only.  You can edit the
                > etc/deliverance/deliverance.ini file and change the second instance of
                > localhost to 0.0.0.0

                For anybody else having similar issues: After some discussion in the
                #openplans channel, it turned out that Doug's suggestion helped, but
                relative links were broken. One more thing was missing... Apache was
                sitting in front, and Akash needed to add "ProxyPreserveHost on".

                --

                Paul Winkler
                http://www.openplans.org/people/slinkp/profile

        • Re: Re: Best practices for deployment of opencore

          from Ethan_Jucovy on Feb 24, 2009 02:45 PM
          On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Akash <akashmahajan@...> wrote:
          > I got the reverse proxy working with apache.
          >
          > A request to http://network.headstart.in is going ahead to
          > http://network.headstart.in:8001/openplans
          >
          > Two questions about this.
          >
          > 1. After the front page all the links have the port number 8001 in it.
          > This doesn't happen on openplans.org. Do I need to add any more
          > directives in my apache conf ? Or in other words how do I keep the
          > port number hidden
          >
          > <Proxy *>
          >        Order deny,allow
          >        Allow from all
          > </Proxy>
          >
          >    ProxyPass        /  http://network.headstart.in:8001/openplans
          >    ProxyPassReverse /  http://network.headstart.in:8001/openplans
          >    ProxyHTMLURLMap http://network.headstart.in:8001/openplans /

          Yeah, you need to tell Zope's VirtualHostMonster to rewrite the links,
          by constructing the URLs like

          http://{PATH_TO_OPENCORE:PORT}/VirtualHostBase/http/{SITE_DOMAIN}/openplans/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_

          So try

          ProxyPass        /
          http://localhost:8001/VirtualHostBase/http/network.headstart.in:80/openplans/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_
          ProxyPassReverse /
          http://localhost:8001/VirtualHostBase/http/network.headstart.in:80/openplans/VirtualHostRoot/_vh_

          (I don't remember what that _vh_ at the end is for but I think it may
          be important ;)

          If you installed the DeliveranceVHoster proxy application that's
          provided by a fassembler build alongside OpenCore, it would manage
          this link rewriting for you.

          > 2. The welcome email I get after registering as a new user is from this id
          >
          > greetings@...
          >
          > Now that is the older FQDN before I setup the mail server and made the
          > required changes. Where do I make this change to send me mails with
          > the new FQDN ?
          > If there is no easy way to do this I plan to just run the installation
          > one more time but using the proper FQDN this time.

          Log in with the administrative account (username: admin) at
          http://localhost:8001/openplans/manage_propertiesForm and try changing
          email_from_address in the web-based form there.  There are probably a
          few other places that the old domain was copied into, so it might end
          up being easier to re-install.

          Enjoy!
          Ethan

          > 2009/2/23 Robert Marianski <rmarianski@...>:
          >> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 04:13:24PM +0530, Akash wrote:
          >>> Also when I installed the software my hostname was different. Now I
          >>> will be serving it from a different hostname. Should I make another
          >>> build or can I change the default hostname somewhere in the config?
          >>>
          >>> regards
          >>> Akash
          >>
          >> Did you explicitly set a hostname? Or is that just the name of the
          >> directory where you built? AFAIK, it should "just work" under different
          >> hostnames, because url calculation is dynamic. Note that absolute links
          >> from wiki pages and blog posts won't change.

          >> Great!

          >> We do generally proxy from apache. I'd recommend doing the same.

          >> It is standard behavior. The first port specified is what we call the
          >> base port, and all other built components have an offset from the base
          >> port. This is useful so that all built components for an environment
          >> have ports that are close to each other.
          >>
          >> Did you just build opencore? We usually build a full stack, with
          >> deliverance listening on the base port, in your case 8000. You don't
          >> have to do it this way, but projects created will not have tasktracker,
          >> wordpress, and twirlip.
          >>
          >> Robert
          >>

          >> --
          >> Archive: http://www.openplans.org/projects/opencore/lists/opencore-dev/archive/2009/02/1235406747908
          >>

          > --
          > regards
          > akash
          >

          > --
          > Archive: http://www.openplans.org/projects/opencore/lists/opencore-dev/archive/2009/02/1235474626801

    • Re: Re: Best practices for deployment of opencore

      from douglas on Feb 23, 2009 04:35 PM
      Which process is running on 8001?  The zope process?  Are you using
      supervisord (which is normally installed alongside opencore).  We
      typically serve behing apache and a proxy, and use the proxy to fix up
      the host headers.  As long as you're sending the correct host headers
      (those of the site being served, it doesn't matter what the hostname
      of the system is) than you should be in good shape.  After the proxy,
      we hit deliverance which combines the various parts of the website
      (blog, task tracker, zope, etc.) into a single uri structure and
      theme...