• CoActivate Users' Group discussion

• Introductions

from Ethan_Jucovy on Mar 09, 2009 08:38 PM
    Hello!

OpenPlans.org, with over 4400 members and a thousand (<a href="http://tinyurl.com/openplans-1000th-project">as of last Friday</a>!!) projects to date, has a pretty amazing population of people who are giving their time and energy to causes and projects they care about.  I am constantly inspired when I learn more about these dedicated people and how they're trying to change the world in ways large and small.  Part of the reason I wanted to start an OpenPlans Users' Group was to open a community space for OpenPlans members to get to know each other.  And, since we'll be getting together here in OPUG, we should introduce ourselves -- because, after all, getting to know each other is an invaluable part of working well together.

I'll keep this thread open and link to it off the project homepage and any "getting started in the Users' Group" section that we might make.  That way, people who are interested and/or join the project later can easily become introduced to the people they'll be collaborating with.  So I hope that people will take a moment to write a quick introduction when they join the OPUG project, with a few words on things like who you are, what you're interested in, what you're working on in the world and what you hope to help make happen, etc.  I'll also start a second thread for us to talk in more detail about our real-world projects and how we are and aren't using OpenPlans projects to support them.

I'll start off by introducing myself in a reply to this message.

Welcome!

-Ethan
    Thread Outline:
  • Re: Introductions

from Ethan_Jucovy on Mar 09, 2009 08:40 PM
    Hello,

My name is Ethan.  I grew up on Long Island, NY, and I now split my time
    between there and Brooklyn.  I'm a computer programmer (mostly for the web)
    and in addition to software I've always been interested in cognitive science,
    Latin, physics, history and robots.  I'm interested in technology that's
    grounded in real-world needs and helps people get things done; open source
    software; and the ways people interact in open source communities to produce
    things collaboratively.  After graduating from college I worked at The Open
    Planning Project for two and a half years, mostly focusing on the OpenPlans
    website and its OpenCore software, and though I'm no longer at TOPP I'm still
    actively working on OpenCore.  I'm also experimenting with ways to make it
    easier for users to translate online content into different languages and to
    customize interfaces in their web applications.  When I step away from the
    computer, I enjoy reading science fiction and history books, cooking
    meatballs, and watching Lost.

Nice to meet you,
    Ethan

On Mar 09, 2009 04:38 PM, EthanJucovy wrote:
    > I'll start off by introducing myself in a reply to this message.
  • Re: Introductions

from cbc on Mar 10, 2009 01:07 AM
    Thanks for starting this group, Ethan. And I hope I see you again soon.

I'm Chris Calloway. I help build the Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS)
    for the UNC Chapel Hill Department of Marine Sciences. I found openplans
    because my project uses a lot of Plone. I belong to 15 openplans groups and am
    an administrator in six of those. I find openplans kind of indispensable.

Cheers, Chris

• Re: Introductions

from Yves Moisan on Mar 11, 2009 12:06 AM
    Hi!

I got an invitation to join this group and I want to thank you for it !  My
    name is Yves Moisan, a French speaking boy from North of the border, and I've
    been using Openplans since the Fall of 2006 in a somewhat haphazard way.  I'm
    the administrator of 7 projects.  In reality, I'm pretty much the only user in
    a bunch of those :-( but sometimes I get the odd edit from someone else and I
    like it.  My first project on OpenPlans is pretty much a summary of my own
    humble ideas on society (socio-libre) and the last one is a project to prepare
    an OpenStreetMap party in my area (osm-sherbrooke).  For the latter project, I
    very much prefer the editing environement OpenPlans provides (over the OSM
    mediawiki) plus I get an optional blog and mailing lists.

I believe the reason I was asked to become a member of this project is that I
    dropped a line a couple of times to the OpenPLans team.  I find OpenPlans very
    useful, but I must say it is not very usable for French speaking folks and the
    two (I believe) times I wrote to "support" was to report issues with accented
    characters.

Over the 2.5 yrs I've been using OpenPlans, I must say I've seen a lot of
    improvement and I'm pleased with the evolution of Openplans.   I can now
    create a new page with an accented character and it won't send OpenPlans in
    the wild (good!), but when I tried to use the task list a couple of days ago I
    met with char encoding issues again.  If OpenPlans got the char encoding story
    right and (second suggestion) it was easy to get a pseudo-navigation (all I
    found for now is to create a bunch of pages from the main page), it would be a
    really compelling system for me.  Thank you Chris Holmes for introducing me to
    TOPP!

Yves
  • Re: Introductions

from Andrew Dakers on Mar 11, 2009 11:37 PM
    I am a councillor in Brentford, West London.  I am using Open Plans for two
    projects I run - Brentford High Street Steering Group.... and the less active
    Brentford Curriculum.  As the tools name implies I believe to rebuild trust in
    democracy - and create a more participatory democracy - tools like Open Plans
    are vital.

I love the ease of use (as I have v little time)...although an earlier version
    had better text formatting functions......

My day job is looking after public affairs at Business in the Community the
    UKs largest corporate responsibility organisation.  See www.bitc.org.uk

Best, Andrew

• Re: Re: Introductions

from Jacqueline on Mar 19, 2009 10:20 PM
      Hello Everyone,
      I'm sorry for the delayed introduction (I've been under the weather).

My name is Jacqueline, though just about everyone calls me Jackie. I've
      lived in Brooklyn for almost seven years now, and so technically I've lived
      on Long Island, NY for all my life except for 4 years of school in
      California. I studied intellectual history in college, though I always
      tempered my philosophical leanings with a strong taste for logistics and
      getting things done, and I've tried my best to unify it all in the various
      work and projects I've been a part of.

I have a background in business management and non-profit administration,
      but my real love is technology. I get very excited about the ways that
      technology can function as a tool, as a medium, as an infrastructure, and as
      a center around which a community can spring up. In all of its functions, I
      see an opportunity for it to be the means of transmission of a force or
      effect as we strive to improve the world around us in our jobs, our
      governance, and our communities.

I spent just over four years working at The Open Planning Project, during
      which time amongst other projects and roles, I started the OpenPlans project
      with the goal of building an infrastructure of 'virtual tools for real world
      change.' Though I'm no longer at TOPP, I am still very committed to the
      objective that web tools and services should be easy to use and easy to set
      up, and allow people to focus on what they truly want to do--instead of
      spending time and energy worrying about their technology.

I can't wait to begin talking with you all about how OpenPlans is helping us
      get things done, how we can pass on the successful ways we've used it to new
      folks and projects just coming in, and where we think things could get
      better.

> in
      > democracy - and create a more participatory democracy - tools like Open
      > Plans
      > are vital.
      > I love the ease of use (as I have v little time)...although an earlier
      > version
      > had better text formatting functions......
      > My day job is looking after public affairs at Business in the Community the
      > UKs largest corporate responsibility organisation.  See www.bitc.org.uk
      > Best, Andrew
      > --
      > Archive:
      > http://www.openplans.org/projects/openplans-users-group/lists/openplans-users-group-discussion/archive/2009/03/1236814628325
      > To unsubscribe send an email with subject "unsubscribe" to
      > openplans-users-group-discussion@....  Please contact
      > openplans-users-group-discussion-manager@... for
      > questions.

• Re: Re: Introductions

from Ethan_Jucovy on Jun 30, 2009 02:37 AM
        Hey,

Hope you've all been well, and sorry for the tremendous delay in
        getting back to anybody here.  I started a new job at
        <http://ccnmtl.columbia.edu> in early April and I'm only starting to
        catch up on things & find a pace that lets me stay caught up...

I'll combine a few replies into a single message here.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 8:06 PM, Yves Moisan<ymoisan@...> wrote:
        > I believe the reason I was asked to become a member of this project is that I
        > dropped a line a couple of times to the OpenPLans team.

I suppose so, indirectly. :)  Just to clarify, this was totally
        casual; while setting up this group and thinking about who to be in
        touch with about it, I remembered getting your "French page titles"
        bug report (and spending like two weeks struggling with it..) and
        thought I'd drop you a line.

> I find OpenPlans very
        > useful, but I must say it is not very usable for French speaking folks and the
        > two (I believe) times I wrote to "support" was to report issues with accented
        > characters.

For the past couple of months my personal primary focus when working
        on OpenCore has been internationalization, because I've been told it's
        an urgent priority for the OpenFSM.net users & administrators using
        the software.  My main focus has been just making more of the user
        interface's text capable of being translated but I've also been trying
        to prioritize bugs related to international character sets & stuff
        like that.

If you know of any specific bugs or glaringly missing features for
        French speakers, feel free to file a ticket in the underlying
        software's issue tracker:
        http://trac.openplans.org/openplans/newticket?keywords=i18n -- no
        promises of course (and I certainly can't speak for any of the other
        developers) but I'll be very happy to prioritize these sorts of issues
        especially since it's already been on my mind these days.

I'd also love to hear any broader thoughts you might have on usability
        for French speakers if you're up for it. :)  This list would probably
        be a good place for that conversation.

> but when I tried to use the task list a couple of days ago I
        > met with char encoding issues again.  If OpenPlans got the char encoding story
        > right

Drat. :(  The "tasks" section is likely to stay buggy in this area for
        a while, I'm afraid.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:04 PM, ThomasLowenhaupt<toml@...> wrote:
        > the confusion of the menu bar with wiki pages contracted to pages. So there was a blog and
        > pages and a summary that was edited by someone else. A small but irritating matter. Soon
        > to be resolved I'm told.

The menu bar now says "wiki" instead of "pages".

Is there a better word for "summary"?  "Overview" maybe?  Or is the
        lack of editability the bigger problem?

> Another development that was anxiety relieving was the "You're watching this page" feature. Prior to its
        > arrival I was always worried about who might inappropriately edit one of the 100+ pages on our public site.
        > (We also use a private site for the not ready for prime time stuff.) I'd periodically use the Contents button
        > to check what had been changed. This took forever to resolve - a minute sometimes. Now I get an email
        > each time a page is edited, with the name of the editing party. Fantastic.

Not sure how many people know about this -- I don't think there is any
        visible indication -- but you can subscribe to various RSS feeds as
        well -- try appending "/rss" to URLs around the site:

https://www.coactivate.org/projects/openplans-users-group/rss <-- a
        feed of recently updated wiki pages in the project
        <-- a feed of recent updates on the wiki page

> Just heard NG that there's a way to communicate with my "Team" but am still unaware of how to do that. Soon I hope.

Every project has an initially-created mailing list (like
        "myproject-discussion") which new project members are auto-subscribed
        to.  Hearing the way you've phrased it makes me wonder if we should
        emphasize this as *contacting your team* rather than .. posting to a
        special mailing list.  Would a simple "Contact team" button on the
        manage-team and/or summary page which links to (e.g.)
        be an improvement?

Ethan

• Re: Introductions

from pmboos on Aug 09, 2010 11:54 PM
    Thanks for starting the site!

I'm Paul Boos; I'm a software development manager for EPA/Office of Pesticide
    Programs.  Besides being a Python enthusiast (although I do very little coding
    now), I serve as an internal Agile Coach for our IT office in EPA/OPP.  I'm
    pretty familiar with Scrum and Kanban and am a big believer in proactively
    involving the customer in all development decisions.  I adminster 3 groups and
    belong to a couple of others.  Once has essentially been placed in stasis as
    it was our planning group for this year's Agile Coach Camp in the US.  Given
    only 2 of us decided to continue working on next year's Camp, we decided to
    start a new group.  I also administer the support site for the Agile
    Influencers of DC (AID) group, and we went with Coactivate to help us remain
    connected.

Anyway, look forward to hearing more from everyone!
    Paul