• CoActivate Users' Group discussion

• Feature request for Wiki

from dramatic on Oct 23, 2012 01:11 AM
    Hi,

I constantly find myself using the "Wiki" tab to navigate back to the
    top level of the wiki for projects, because there is no other native
    navigation and it takes determined effort to put some specific
    navigation in place. Note that I don't use browser history, because
    I've often made two or three edits to the page that I'm on. My most
    frequent destination is the parent page of the page I've been editing
    or reading. While the wiki remains small and shallow (only two levels
    of hierarchy), navigating via the home page remains efficient, but if
    a wiki grows to 3, 4 or more levels of hierarchical depth, it becomes
    inefficient, and navigation an unnecessary load on the server.

I'm assuming that many, but not all, wiki will be organised on
    hierarchical lines, with the home page linking to various sections.
    But some people just write lots with occasional wikilinks. So I don't
    think the solution should be to impose any sort of forced
    structure/category system - both in terms of being a lot of work to
    implement and an unnecessary restriction of the flexibility offered by
    the wiki system.

So what could be a simple, optional, no-buy-in solution? How about a
    minimal breadcrumb trail: a link to the top of the wiki plus one to
    the parent page -> being the page on which the current page was first
    named. This could be achieved by adding one more url parameter to the
    ((page+)) link to a nonexistant page - something like
    &parent=[currentpage] . This info is used to populate the initial text
    (currently "Enter some content for your page") of the new page with
    ((home)) | (([currentpage])) and maybe a horizontal rule beneath it.
    Users who don't want the links simply delete them as they do the
    current dummy content.

Sound like a can-do?

Richard Grevers

Thread Outline:
  • Re: Feature request for Wiki

from Ethan_Jucovy on Oct 23, 2012 06:03 AM
    This is a great idea -- I actually wrote some code to do this a few years
    ago, but never quite finished it.  I'll dig it up and should be able to get
    this in place very soon.  (I'm pretty busy for the next two weeks, so it
    might not be until after that.  (After that I'll also catch up on all the
    other recent messages on this list!))

FYI, the "Extra Wikis" tool already provides this backlink feature for new
    pages.  (It also supports /arbitrarily/deeply/nested/pages/, if anyone
    wants to organize their wikis that way.)  But I'll get it installed for the
    original/default wiki system too ASAP.

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Richard Grevers <pinz@...>wrote:

> Hi,
    > I constantly find myself using the "Wiki" tab to navigate back to the
    > top level of the wiki for projects, because there is no other native
    > navigation and it takes determined effort to put some specific
    > navigation in place. Note that I don't use browser history, because
    > I've often made two or three edits to the page that I'm on. My most
    > frequent destination is the parent page of the page I've been editing
    > or reading. While the wiki remains small and shallow (only two levels
    > of hierarchy), navigating via the home page remains efficient, but if
    > a wiki grows to 3, 4 or more levels of hierarchical depth, it becomes
    > inefficient, and navigation an unnecessary load on the server.
    > I'm assuming that many, but not all, wiki will be organised on
    > hierarchical lines, with the home page linking to various sections.
    > But some people just write lots with occasional wikilinks. So I don't
    > think the solution should be to impose any sort of forced
    > structure/category system - both in terms of being a lot of work to
    > implement and an unnecessary restriction of the flexibility offered by
    > the wiki system.
    > So what could be a simple, optional, no-buy-in solution? How about a
    > minimal breadcrumb trail: a link to the top of the wiki plus one to
    > the parent page -> being the page on which the current page was first
    > named. This could be achieved by adding one more url parameter to the
    > ((page+)) link to a nonexistant page - something like
    > &parent=[currentpage] . This info is used to populate the initial text
    > (currently "Enter some content for your page") of the new page with
    > ((home)) | (([currentpage])) and maybe a horizontal rule beneath it.
    > Users who don't want the links simply delete them as they do the
    > current dummy content.

from dramatic on Oct 24, 2012 03:32 AM
      On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 7:03 PM, Ethan Jucovy <ethan.jucovy@...> wrote:
      > This is a great idea -- I actually wrote some code to do this a few years
      > ago, but never quite finished it.  I'll dig it up and should be able to get
      > this in place very soon.  (I'm pretty busy for the next two weeks, so it
      > might not be until after that.  (After that I'll also catch up on all the
      > other recent messages on this list!))
      > FYI, the "Extra Wikis" tool already provides this backlink feature for new
      > pages.  (It also supports /arbitrarily/deeply/nested/pages/, if anyone wants
      > to organize their wikis that way.)  But I'll get it installed for the
      > original/default wiki system too ASAP.
      Thanks, Ethan.
      It's good to get an enthusiastic response to a feature request for once :-)
      Another thing that might be useful down the track would be internal
      bookmarking/shortcuts to favourite pages: Your most-used pages can
      appear on the coactivate menu on the top right. (plus a simple
      shortcut management function).

Richard

• Re: Feature request for Wiki

from strypey on Oct 24, 2012 01:11 AM
      Kia koutou

That sounds great Ethan. Is the plan still to eventually migrate all
      the existing Wiki content into a wiki in the "Extra Wikis" system, and
      retire the older Wiki system?

Na
      Strypey

On 23 October 2012 19:03, Ethan Jucovy <ethan.jucovy@...> wrote:
      > This is a great idea -- I actually wrote some code to do this a few years
      > ago, but never quite finished it.  I'll dig it up and should be able to get
      > this in place very soon.  (I'm pretty busy for the next two weeks, so it
      > might not be until after that.  (After that I'll also catch up on all the
      > other recent messages on this list!))
      > FYI, the "Extra Wikis" tool already provides this backlink feature for new
      > pages.  (It also supports /arbitrarily/deeply/nested/pages/, if anyone wants
      > to organize their wikis that way.)  But I'll get it installed for the
      > original/default wiki system too ASAP.
      > On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Richard Grevers <pinz@...>
      > wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >> I constantly find myself using the "Wiki" tab to navigate back to the
      >> top level of the wiki for projects, because there is no other native
      >> navigation and it takes determined effort to put some specific
      >> navigation in place. Note that I don't use browser history, because
      >> I've often made two or three edits to the page that I'm on. My most
      >> frequent destination is the parent page of the page I've been editing
      >> or reading. While the wiki remains small and shallow (only two levels
      >> of hierarchy), navigating via the home page remains efficient, but if
      >> a wiki grows to 3, 4 or more levels of hierarchical depth, it becomes
      >> inefficient, and navigation an unnecessary load on the server.
      >> I'm assuming that many, but not all, wiki will be organised on
      >> hierarchical lines, with the home page linking to various sections.
      >> But some people just write lots with occasional wikilinks. So I don't
      >> think the solution should be to impose any sort of forced
      >> structure/category system - both in terms of being a lot of work to
      >> implement and an unnecessary restriction of the flexibility offered by
      >> the wiki system.
      >> So what could be a simple, optional, no-buy-in solution? How about a
      >> minimal breadcrumb trail: a link to the top of the wiki plus one to
      >> the parent page -> being the page on which the current page was first
      >> named. This could be achieved by adding one more url parameter to the
      >> ((page+)) link to a nonexistant page - something like
      >> &parent=[currentpage] . This info is used to populate the initial text
      >> (currently "Enter some content for your page") of the new page with
      >> ((home)) | (([currentpage])) and maybe a horizontal rule beneath it.
      >> Users who don't want the links simply delete them as they do the
      >> current dummy content.
      >> Sound like a can-do?
      >> Richard Grevers
      >> --
      >> Archive:
      >> https://www.coactivate.org/projects/openplans-users-group/lists/openplans-users-group-discussion/archive/2012/10/1350954688970
      >> To unsubscribe send an email with subject "unsubscribe" to
      >> openplans-users-group-discussion@....  Please contact
      >> openplans-users-group-discussion-manager@... for questions.
      > --
      > Archive: https://www.coactivate.org/[…]/1350972209265
      > To unsubscribe send an email with subject "unsubscribe" to
      > openplans-users-group-discussion@.... Please contact
      > openplans-users-group-discussion-manager@... for questions.

Danyl Strype
      Community Developer
      Disintermedia.net.nz/strype

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
      - .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
      speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
      - Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
      that free software is the best model."
      - Keith C Curtis