• CoActivate Users' Group discussion

Wiki breadcrumbs (Re: Feature request for Wiki)

from Ethan Jucovy on Nov 22, 2012 04:04 PM
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Richard Grevers <pinz@...>wrote:

> So what could be a simple, optional, no-buy-in solution? How about a
> minimal breadcrumb trail: a link to the top of the wiki plus one to
> the parent page -> being the page on which the current page was first
> named. This info is used to populate the initial text
> (currently "Enter some content for your page") of the new page with
> ((home)) | (([currentpage])) and maybe a horizontal rule beneath it.
> Users who don't want the links simply delete them as they do the
> current dummy content.

I just finished implementing this feature, and it's now deployed on the
site.  You can try it out by creating a new page on any of your wikis.  As
Richard suggested, it creates a breadcrumb bar with links to the project
home and to the previous page, and this breadcrumb bar can be deleted at
any time if it's not wanted.

Here's an example of what it looks like if you don't enter any content:
https://www.coactivate.org/projects/sandbox/mumbo-jumbo

Richard and everyone else, let me know if you want any changes to this
default, either in content or styling.

A bit longer-term, I'd really like to make this feature configurable by the
project administrator, so you could build your own "blank page template" if
there's any particular layout or content you use on all of your pages.
 That probably won't happen until I've moved everything over to the new
wiki system (the one that currently powers the "Extra Wikis" feature)

Happy Thanksgiving,
Ethan

Return to date view: threaded or flat