• CoActivate Users' Group discussion

  • Wiki breadcrumbs (Re: Feature request for Wiki)

    from Ethan_Jucovy on Nov 22, 2012 04:04 PM
    On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Richard Grevers <pinz@...>wrote:

    > So what could be a simple, optional, no-buy-in solution? How about a
    > minimal breadcrumb trail: a link to the top of the wiki plus one to
    > the parent page -> being the page on which the current page was first
    > named. This info is used to populate the initial text
    > (currently "Enter some content for your page") of the new page with
    > ((home)) | (([currentpage])) and maybe a horizontal rule beneath it.
    > Users who don't want the links simply delete them as they do the
    > current dummy content.

    I just finished implementing this feature, and it's now deployed on the
    site.  You can try it out by creating a new page on any of your wikis.  As
    Richard suggested, it creates a breadcrumb bar with links to the project
    home and to the previous page, and this breadcrumb bar can be deleted at
    any time if it's not wanted.

    Here's an example of what it looks like if you don't enter any content:
    https://www.coactivate.org/projects/sandbox/mumbo-jumbo

    Richard and everyone else, let me know if you want any changes to this
    default, either in content or styling.

    A bit longer-term, I'd really like to make this feature configurable by the
    project administrator, so you could build your own "blank page template" if
    there's any particular layout or content you use on all of your pages.
     That probably won't happen until I've moved everything over to the new
    wiki system (the one that currently powers the "Extra Wikis" feature)

    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Ethan

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: Wiki breadcrumbs (Re: Feature request for Wiki)

    from strypey on Nov 23, 2012 11:32 AM
    Kia ora Ethan

    Navigation aids! Yay! Thanks so much for this! I suggested this quite
    early on, but somebody pointed out that what I was proposing was a
    hierarchical map for a relational database. This is true but the fact
    is a lot of us use the wiki tool to build hierarchical homepage-style
    sites, and the breadcrumbs make sense to us. To me, this is a classic
    case of the difference between the way geeks think a tool "should" be
    used, and the way some users actually use the tool (saw a great
    presentation today on the psychology of interfaces, and evidence that
    geeks don't think like normal humans ;)

    When you implement the new wiki system, would it be possible to have a
    default wiki, called something like 'Pages' or 'Notes' or 'Intro',
    which is hierarchical (although still using internal wikilinks), and
    uses a traditional breadcrumb train as people navigate up and down the
    hierarchy? In a public project this would be the set of pages that
    explain the project and its current status to casual browsers (like
    the homepage function on SourceForge), while in a private project it
    would function as a summary new team members could use to familiarize
    themselves with the project, and way the team is using CoA.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you too :) Thanks for Ethan and CoActivate!

    He mihi nui
    Strypey

    --
    Danyl Strype
    Community Developer

    "Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
    - .ISOcrates

    "Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
    speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
    - Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
    http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

    "Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
    that free software is the best model."
    - Keith C Curtis
    http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407