• CoActivate Users' Group discussion

• New feature: email notifications for wiki edits

from Ethan_Jucovy on Nov 26, 2012 04:32 PM
    Over the weekend I began to implement a new "wiki edits" notification
    feature, to replace the old version which often breaks down.  The new
    version of the feature works by sending notification emails to a mailing
    list of your choice.

So, for example, if you want to be notified whenever a page is edited in
    the Coactivate Users Group wiki, you can subscribe to this mailing list:

Note that you will *not* receive email notifications about your own edits,
    even if you're subscribed -- you'll only be notified about other people's
    edits.  (Eventually this will be a per-user preference.)

I need to work more on the feature before it's ready to be rolled out
    publicly.  But it does already work, and is already about as useful as the
    previous "WATCH THIS PAGE" feature.

So if anyone would like to be an early alpha user of this feature, let me
    know -- I can hook it up for your projects.

-Ethan

P.S. Here's my to-do list for rolling out the feature publicly:

Thread Outline:
  • Re: New feature: email notifications for wiki edits

from strypey on Feb 04, 2014 09:51 AM
    Kia ora Ethan

Somehow I missed this announcement. I'm keen to try out the new
    wiki-edits watching feature for Disintermedia project. You still
    working on this?

Keep it up,
    Strypey

On 27 November 2012 05:31, Ethan Jucovy <ethan.jucovy@...> wrote:
    > Over the weekend I began to implement a new "wiki edits" notification
    > feature, to replace the old version which often breaks down.  The new
    > version of the feature works by sending notification emails to a mailing
    > list of your choice.
    > So, for example, if you want to be notified whenever a page is edited in the
    > Coactivate Users Group wiki, you can subscribe to this mailing list:
    > Note that you will *not* receive email notifications about your own edits,
    > even if you're subscribed -- you'll only be notified about other people's
    > edits.  (Eventually this will be a per-user preference.)
    > I need to work more on the feature before it's ready to be rolled out
    > publicly.  But it does already work, and is already about as useful as the
    > previous "WATCH THIS PAGE" feature.
    > So if anyone would like to be an early alpha user of this feature, let me
    > know -- I can hook it up for your projects.
    > -Ethan
    > P.S. Here's my to-do list for rolling out the feature publicly:
    > --
    > Archive: https://www.coactivate.org/[…]/1353947539859
    > To unsubscribe send an email with subject "unsubscribe" to
    > openplans-users-group-discussion@.... Please contact
    > openplans-users-group-discussion-manager@... for questions.

Danyl Strype
    Community Developer
    Disintermedia.net.nz/strype

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
    - .ISOcrates

"Voting... is the next to last refuge of the politically impotent. The
    last refuge is, of course, giving your opinion to a pollster, who will
    get a version of it through a dessicated question, and then will
    submerge it in a Niagra of similar opinions, and convert them into -
    what else? - another piece of news. Thus, we have here a great loop of
    impotence: The news elicits from you a variety of opinions about which
    you can do nothing except to offer them as more news, about which you
    can do nothing."
    - Neil Postman, 'Amusing Ourselves To Death'

• Re: New feature: email notifications for wiki edits

from tomlowenhaupt on Feb 04, 2014 02:37 PM
      Ethan,

I'd like this as well.

Tom

On 2/4/2014 4:51 AM, Danyl Strype wrote:
      > Kia ora Ethan
      > Somehow I missed this announcement. I'm keen to try out the new
      > wiki-edits watching feature for Disintermedia project. You still
      > working on this?
      > Keep it up,
      > Strypey
      > On 27 November 2012 05:31, Ethan Jucovy <ethan.jucovy@...> wrote:
      >> Over the weekend I began to implement a new "wiki edits" notification
      >> feature, to replace the old version which often breaks down.  The new
      >> version of the feature works by sending notification emails to a mailing
      >> list of your choice.
      >> So, for example, if you want to be notified whenever a page is edited in the
      >> Coactivate Users Group wiki, you can subscribe to this mailing list:
      >> https://www.coactivate.org/projects/openplans-users-group/lists/coactivate-users-group-notifications
      >> Note that you will *not* receive email notifications about your own edits,
      >> even if you're subscribed -- you'll only be notified about other people's
      >> edits.  (Eventually this will be a per-user preference.)
      >> I need to work more on the feature before it's ready to be rolled out
      >> publicly.  But it does already work, and is already about as useful as the
      >> previous "WATCH THIS PAGE" feature.
      >> So if anyone would like to be an early alpha user of this feature, let me
      >> know -- I can hook it up for your projects.
      >> -Ethan
      >> P.S. Here's my to-do list for rolling out the feature publicly:
      >> https://www.coactivate.org/projects/openplans-users-group/tasks/tasklist/show/1243
      >> --
      >> Archive: https://www.coactivate.org/[…]/1353947539859
      >> To unsubscribe send an email with subject "unsubscribe" to
      >> openplans-users-group-discussion@.... Please contact
      >> openplans-users-group-discussion-manager@... for questions.