• CoActivate Users' Group discussion

  • Feature Request: link to forum view.

    from dramatic on Apr 08, 2013 06:38 AM
    Hi,
    Discussion list emails currently contain a link to the single message view
    in the online archive. Would it be possible to 1) include a link to the
    full thread (called forum view, I think) in the email.
    1a) make 1 an option (which is quite a lot more work than just including it
    - is anyone likely to object?)
    2) add a "view full thread" link in the single message view. My apologies
    if it is already there - I may have missed it scrolling around in my phone
    browser.
    3) (a bigger ask and lower priority): make a pretty version of forum view,
    formatted more like a forum or social media conversation. (E.g. for a
    single block reply, drop all quoted material, but for a reply inline,
    format previous level (only) quotes between reply. (i could make a mockup
    to clarify).

    The background to this request is a semi defection loomio by a project.
    From comments made, the ease of viewing an entire discussion was a factor.
    They certainly haven't used loomio's main feature - it's (awesome) decision
    making tool - yet. I think they are just discovering that having
    discussions in two different systems is counterproductive.
    Anyway, it did set me thinking that CoActivate is a little "old school
    geek" in some aspects of its appearance.

    richard Grevers. via mobile (so please forgive terseness and typos)

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: Feature Request: link to forum view.

    from Ethan_Jucovy on Nov 22, 2013 01:55 PM
    Hey Richard,

    My apologies for the extremely long delay following up on your message
    about improving user experiences around discussion lists.  Replies inline:

    On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 2:38 AM, Richard Grevers <pinz@...> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Discussion list emails currently contain a link to the single message view
    > in the online archive. Would it be possible to 1) include a link to the
    > full thread (called forum view, I think) in the email.

    This should be quick to implement.  I'll work on it this weekend.

    > 2) add a "view full thread" link in the single message view. My apologies
    > if it is already there - I may have missed it scrolling around in my phone
    > browser.

    On the sidebar of a "single mesage" view there are links to other specific
    messages in the same thread -- you can navigate to each direct reply, to
    the parent message, and to the "next in thread".  But there is no link to
    the full thread view, which would probably be the single most useful link
    to have.  :-)  I'll work on this over the weekend as well.

    > 3) (a bigger ask and lower priority): make a pretty version of forum view,
    > formatted more like a forum or social media conversation. (E.g. for a
    > single block reply, drop all quoted material, but for a reply inline,
    > format previous level (only) quotes between reply. (i could make a mockup
    > to clarify).

    I would love to have a nicer looking forum view; it might take a while to
    implement, but it's certainly worth doing.  Come to think of it, a more
    user friendly discussion list archive is probably the single most valuable
    UI aspect to improve a new user's first impressions -- being subscribed to
    an existing user's mailing list is the entry point for a majority of new
    CoActivate users, so making the archives look nicer would probably go a
    long way toward encouraging those new users to stick around and explore the
    rest of the site.

    If you're still willing to make a mockup to show what you're envisioning
    here, that would be a huge help.  From there, we could figure out what the
    best next steps would be -- whether any further upfront design work is
    necessary, whether any of the features implied in the mockup are
    disproportionately hard to implement, what a manageable chunk of
    still-worthwhile work would look like, etc.  Please do let me know if
    you're still up for this.

    Thanks,
    Ethan

    • Re: Feature Request: link to forum view.

      from strypey on Jan 17, 2014 09:42 AM
      Kia ora koutou

      On 23 November 2013 02:55, Ethan Jucovy <ethan.jucovy@...> wrote:

      >> I would love to have a nicer looking forum view; it might take a while to implement, but it's certainly worth doing.  Come to think of it, a more user friendly discussion list archive is probably the single most valuable UI aspect to improve a new user's first impressions -- being subscribed to an existing user's mailing list is the entry point for a majority of new CoActivate users, so making the archives look nicer would probably go a long way toward encouraging those new users to stick around and explore the rest of the site. <<

      Very true Ethan. One thing which would help tremendously, although
      probably very tricky to get right, would be a way of stripping all the
      repetition out of a thread, caused by people top-posting on top of
      each others top-posts.Some people are email people (like me), some
      people prefer web forums. Although there are a number of discussion
      systems in which users can read and reply by both email and web, most
      of them betray their origins as either a web forum with an email
      plug-in (PHPBB > email) or a listserver with a web archive. It would
      be great if CoA could become the first project to be equally
      comfortable for both groups of users (although OnlineGroups.net is not
      bad).

      I'm part of the project Richard referred to, and we are indeed
      experiencing a lot of platform confusion. We have one foot in CoA, one
      foot in Loomio, one hand on our Drupal site, and one hand on Skype,
      like some demented game of infostructural Twister. Each of these tools
      does some of the things we need well, but none of them does them all.
      CoA is great for email discussions, but not so great for following the
      same discussion in the web interface, and newbies used to FB, Twitter,
      GoogleDocs and WordPress find wiki a slow, clunky, confusing way to
      publish and edit. Loomio doesn't provide an email interface, or any
      way to store or edit long form text. Drupal doesn't handle email
      lists, and it's web forum has had limited uptake. None of the above
      provide voice conferencing, so we are stuck with Skype. What continues
      to frustrate me is that I'm sure there must be enough free code and
      open standards available to solve all of these problems, but how do we
      gather, motivate and support the people with the skills to assemble
      them all in one integrated service?

      Hei kona
      Strypey

      --
      Danyl Strype
      Community Developer

      "Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
      - .ISOcrates

      "Voting... is the next to last refuge of the politically impotent. The
      last refuge is, of course, giving your opinion to a pollster, who will
      get a version of it through a dessicated question, and then will
      submerge it in a Niagra of similar opinions, and convert them into -
      what else? - another piece of news. Thus, we have here a great loop of
      impotence: The news elicits from you a variety of opinions about which
      you can do nothing except to offer them as more news, about which you
      can do nothing."
      - Neil Postman, 'Amusing Ourselves To Death'