• CoActivate Users' Group discussion

  • Downtime at 10 PM Eastern tonight

    from Ethan_Jucovy on Jun 07, 2013 08:17 PM
    Hi,

    I'm planning to do some hardware upgrades on the coactivate server
    tonight at 10 PM Eastern (around six hours from now).

    Coactivate would be unavailable for about six hours.  During this
    time, emails sent to mailing lists would also be returned to their
    senders.

    Let me know (ASAP) if this will be a problem for you and if you'd
    prefer me to reschedule the upgrades.

    -Ethan

    Thread Outline:
  • Re: Downtime at 10 PM Eastern tonight

    from tomlowenhaupt on Jun 09, 2013 07:55 PM
    Sounds fine to me.

    Tom

    On 6/7/2013 4:17 PM, Ethan Jucovy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm planning to do some hardware upgrades on the coactivate server
    > tonight at 10 PM Eastern (around six hours from now).
    >
    > Coactivate would be unavailable for about six hours.  During this
    > time, emails sent to mailing lists would also be returned to their
    > senders.
    >
    > Let me know (ASAP) if this will be a problem for you and if you'd
    > prefer me to reschedule the upgrades.
    >
    > -Ethan
    >

    > --
    > Archive: https://www.coactivate.org/projects/openplans-users-group/lists/openplans-users-group-discussion/archive/2013/06/1370636244341

  • Re: Downtime at 10 PM Eastern tonight

    from Ethan_Jucovy on Jun 09, 2013 07:55 PM
    The upgrades are now complete (a few hours early) and Coactivate is back online.

    For anyone who's curious: the upgrades involved doubling the available
    RAM on the server, increasing the hard drive space by 20%, and adding
    additional Zope processes to handle HTTP requests.  Along with the
    additional processes, I've configured a simple load balancer that
    routes all spiders and robots to a single process which also handles
    heavy asynchronous tasks like project export processing and database
    reindexing; and distributes human-originating requests to one of
    several other processes.

    Hopefully this will address the recent slow performance that we've been having.

    Let me know if you have any problems.

    -Ethan

    On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Ethan Jucovy <ethan.jucovy@...> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm planning to do some hardware upgrades on the coactivate server
    > tonight at 10 PM Eastern (around six hours from now).
    >
    > Coactivate would be unavailable for about six hours.  During this
    > time, emails sent to mailing lists would also be returned to their
    > senders.
    >
    > Let me know (ASAP) if this will be a problem for you and if you'd
    > prefer me to reschedule the upgrades.
    >
    > -Ethan

    • Re: Re: Downtime at 10 PM Eastern tonight

      from strypey on Jun 10, 2013 12:20 AM
      Kia ora koutou

      Thanks heaps Ethan! I really appreciate your support for all of us,
      through your ongoing work  to maintain and improve CoActivate. Please
      keep us all informed about your continuing project to refactor
      OpenCore, to further improve its performance, and make it easier for
      more Python programmers to get involved in working on it.

      He mihi nui
      Strypey

      On 8 June 2013 15:52, Ethan Jucovy <ethan.jucovy@...> wrote:
      > The upgrades are now complete (a few hours early) and Coactivate is back online.
      >
      > For anyone who's curious: the upgrades involved doubling the available
      > RAM on the server, increasing the hard drive space by 20%, and adding
      > additional Zope processes to handle HTTP requests.  Along with the
      > additional processes, I've configured a simple load balancer that
      > routes all spiders and robots to a single process which also handles
      > heavy asynchronous tasks like project export processing and database
      > reindexing; and distributes human-originating requests to one of
      > several other processes.
      >
      > Hopefully this will address the recent slow performance that we've been having.
      >
      > Let me know if you have any problems.
      >
      > -Ethan
      >
      > On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Ethan Jucovy <ethan.jucovy@...> wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >>
      >> I'm planning to do some hardware upgrades on the coactivate server
      >> tonight at 10 PM Eastern (around six hours from now).
      >>
      >> Coactivate would be unavailable for about six hours.  During this
      >> time, emails sent to mailing lists would also be returned to their
      >> senders.
      >>
      >> Let me know (ASAP) if this will be a problem for you and if you'd
      >> prefer me to reschedule the upgrades.
      >>
      >> -Ethan
      >

      > --
      > Archive: https://www.coactivate.org/projects/openplans-users-group/lists/openplans-users-group-discussion/archive/2013/06/1370807751242

      Danyl Strype
      Community Developer
      Disintermedia.net.nz/strype

      "Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
      - .ISOcrates

      "Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
      speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
      - Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
      http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

      "Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
      that free software is the best model."
      - Keith C Curtis
      http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407