• CoActivate Users' Group discussion

• spam pruning

from danielstrypeybruce on Apr 09, 2016 07:47 AM
    Kia ora koutou

>From now on, I will be helping Ethan prune off any spam groups and users that manage to set themselves up on CoActivate. If any other users are willing to help with this job, please let us know.

Today I deleted the following:
    group and user 'CityWideDecorators'
    'SellRVNow' and user 'James Brown' (I kid you not ;)
    group and user 'WeddingInn'
    groups 'Phillips Chatham Pointe Apartments' (x2) and user 'lindawilson'
    group 'AndrewYarrollPainting' and user 'AndrewYarroll'
    group 'British Furniture' and user 'britishblogs'
    group 'Addison Point Heating Cables' and user 'fredawong'
    group 'Phillips TRP' (another lindawilson project)
    group and user 'MyCrash MD'
    group 'Dallas Security Service' and user 'danredd'
    group 'Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club' and user 'lakejovita'

Edge cases I wasn't sure about (switched to 'only team members can view'):
    'Peach'
    'Jayprakash'
    'Healthcareinfoideas'
    'Education Process'
    'How Your Passions Make You A Better Reporter'
    'online advertising' (user has added photo and a bunch of info)

Hei kōnā
    Strypey
    Thread Outline:
  • Re: spam pruning

from danielstrypeybruce on Apr 09, 2016 12:49 PM
    Kia ora anō

Pruned some more spammers.

On Apr 09, 2016 03:47 AM, Danyl Strype (admin) wrote:
    > Kia ora koutou
    > >From now on, I will be helping Ethan prune off any spam groups and users
    > >that manage to set themselves up on CoActivate. If any other users are
    > >willing to help with this job, please let us know.
    > Today I deleted the following:

group 'Smart Shopping Center' and user 'alicesmith'
    group and user 'SpaceCode'
    group 'Service by a Director or Body Corporate' and user 'eserviceshelp123'
    group 'UnitedSates' (user already deleted)

group 'HappinessForYou' and user 'stacy_wilson' - this was an interesting one,
    the group was purportedly for an Indian not-for-profit. The user profile had a
    photo of a young white girl and the 'about' message claimed she is from the US
    but was obviously not written by a native English speaker. The group was set
    up in 2013 but never used. The site linked in the user profile was selling
    some kind of new age "happiness" course. Spam.

and hid the following:
    Micro-Entrepeneurs
    Tobacco Free Generation
    Instalar impresoras en canaima (looks spammy, but there are no external links,
    and the user had added some info)
    Bitcoin (the only thing in this group is one email in the mailing list archive
    with lots of external links. Maybe I shouldn't had done this as both group
    members are in another active free software project)

Hei kōnā
    Strypey
    • Re: Re: spam pruning

from Ethan_Jucovy on Apr 09, 2016 01:10 PM
      Hey,

I think we should reinstate these two:

Instalar impresoras en canaima
        Bitcoin

Looks like both of them were started by people who are/were also involved
      in another project on CoActivate.  You said Instalar impresoras en canaima
      looked spammy -- were there any suspicious links or SEO-bait content on
      it?  To me it just looks like an empty project that never got used.  (Which
      is another common problem on the site, but I'd prefer to think of some
      other way to handle it besides calling it spam.)

Thanks for all your work on this!

Also, a meta-question -- maybe we should set up a dedicated mailing list
      (in the User's Group project) for threads like this?

-Ethan

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Danyl Strype <disintermedia@...>
      wrote:

> Kia ora anō
      > Pruned some more spammers.
      > On Apr 09, 2016 03:47 AM, Danyl Strype (admin) wrote:
      > > Kia ora koutou
      > >
      > > >From now on, I will be helping Ethan prune off any spam groups and users
      > > >that manage to set themselves up on CoActivate. If any other users are
      > > >willing to help with this job, please let us know.
      > >
      > > Today I deleted the following:
      > group 'Smart Shopping Center' and user 'alicesmith'
      > group and user 'SpaceCode'
      > group 'Service by a Director or Body Corporate' and user 'eserviceshelp123'
      > group 'UnitedSates' (user already deleted)
      > group 'HappinessForYou' and user 'stacy_wilson' - this was an interesting
      > one,
      > the group was purportedly for an Indian not-for-profit. The user profile
      > had a
      > photo of a young white girl and the 'about' message claimed she is from
      > the US
      > but was obviously not written by a native English speaker. The group was
      > set
      > up in 2013 but never used. The site linked in the user profile was selling
      > some kind of new age "happiness" course. Spam.
      > and hid the following:
      > Micro-Entrepeneurs
      > Tobacco Free Generation
      > Instalar impresoras en canaima (looks spammy, but there are no external
      > links,
      > and the user had added some info)
      > Bitcoin (the only thing in this group is one email in the mailing list
      > archive
      > with lots of external links. Maybe I shouldn't had done this as both group
      > members are in another active free software project)
      > Hei kōnā
      > Strypey
      > --
      > Archive:
      > https://www.coactivate.org/projects/openplans-users-group/lists/openplans-users-group-discussion/archive/2016/04/1460206197885
      > To unsubscribe send an email with subject "unsubscribe" to
      > openplans-users-group-discussion@....  Please contact
      > openplans-users-group-discussion-manager@... for
      > questions.

• Re: Re: spam pruning

from Strypey of Aotearoa on Apr 10, 2016 09:12 AM
        Kia ora koutou

On 2016-04-10 01:09, Ethan Jucovy wrote:
        > Hey,
        > I think we should reinstate these two:
        >   Instalar impresoras en canaima
        >   Bitcoin
        > Looks like both of them were started by people who are/were also
        > involved
        > in another project on CoActivate.

Fair enough. I was unsure about them, which I why I only 'hid' them. I
        also sent all the projects I hid them some variant of this message
        (using their mailing list as my admin user can't send messages to other
        users yet). Hope this is ok:

> You said Instalar impresoras en canaima
        > looked spammy -- were there any suspicious links or SEO-bait content on
        > it?

I used Google Translate to see what the title and intro text meant.
        Something about "installing printers", which sounded a bit spammy.
        You're right that there are no dodgy links though.

> To me it just looks like an empty project that never got used. (Which
        > is another common problem on the site, but I'd prefer to think of some
        > other way to handle it besides calling it spam.)

I guess as long as there are no suspicious links it doesn't hurt to
        leave them publicly visible, but does it hurt to leave them visible only
        to team members? Seems to me this might be a good solution, as it means
        the publicly visible projects are those which have had some use, while
        those set up as tests and never used are still there. If their creator
        does end up starting to use them, they can always switch them back to
        publicly visible.

> Thanks for all your work on this!

De nada ;)

> Also, a meta-question -- maybe we should set up a dedicated mailing
        > list
        > (in the User's Group project) for threads like this?

If you think it's worth it. Alternatively, I could just email you
        privately. As a user, getting emails about admin work being done gives
        me confidence that the site is being maintained, and that it's safe to
        keep plugging my data into it. So that's why I posted to the user group.

I welcome feedback on any or all of this from other folks on this list.

Cheers
        Strypey

"In a society which has abolished adventure the only adventure that
        remains is to abolish the society"
        - graffito Paris, May 1968

• Re: spam pruning

from danielstrypeybruce on May 07, 2016 01:19 PM
    Kia ora koutou

On Apr 09, 2016 03:47 AM, Danyl Strype (admin) wrote:
    > Edge cases I wasn't sure about (switched to 'only team members can view'):
    > 'Jayprakash'
    > 'Healthcareinfoideas'
    > 'Education Process'
    > 'How Your Passions Make You A Better Reporter'

All four of these projects have been shifted back to being publicly visible,
    yet I can't see any new content in any of the projects, or the user profile of
    the single member each project has, despite the admin message I posted to
    their mailing list. There are no obvious spam links, but is it possible these
    are being used to spam in some other way? Are they testing the tolerance of
    moderators before adding spam links or a new project with spam links under the
    same user at a later time? What should I do with groups like these?

> 'online advertising' (user has added photo and a bunch of info)

The user who created this project, one "Ashley Mills" recently set up another
    project, with a blog post containing a link to a bingo site. This user and
    both projects have now been deleted.

> Hei kōnā